Let’s take a test

This year’s round of the ever-popular TEAMS competition ends strongly as  Clayton takes top honors.

Clayton students took the top spots at the annual TEAMS competition, which took place at St. Louis Community College in Florissant Valley on Friday, Feb. 17.

Tests of Engineering, Aptitude, Mathematics and Science, better known as TEAMS, is a yearly competition that challenges members to use their knowledge in certain subjects to solve real-life engineering problems.

This year Clayton earned the top three spots in their JV division, with the C team ringing in first, followed by the B team in second and the A team in third.

In addition, the Varsity teams also placed well, with the A team in first, the B team in second, and the C team in third.

But this was not a feat easily achieved, according to sophomore Claire Lisker.

“The work put into TEAMS mainly involved two-hour after school practices, twice a week, with the exception of a bit of individual research for the competition.”

Despite the hard work, most of the students that participated in TEAMS are hoping to earn a spot next year.

“I would definitely like to participate next year,” said sophomore Ben Diamond. “Working in such a focused and fun environment was really enjoyable. You really got a feeling of being on a team by working with others and keeping team spirit.”

However, this spot is not easily earned, according to TEAMS sponsor and coach, physics teacher Rex Rice.

“We look at performance in Freshmen Physics and build a list of potential candidates and pass them onto the chemistry teachers for further rankings, but we have to limit the number of new sophomores to about 24 or eight per team. We also admit students that take AP physics because it makes sense for them to be in it if they are interested in economics.”

Although the price of admission is steep, it is also justified.

“We compete against the St. Louis Region or all the schools in the metropolitan area that take part it TEAMS,” said Rice.

This is also the reason that the students that competed are so pleased with the results.

“I was proud of my team and the other teams,” said Diamond.

Rice agreed, “I’m always happy if they go and have fun and represent CHS with dignity and class.”

Despite their great finishes, this is the end of the road for TEAMS, at least for this year.

“All the tests are completed on the day of initial competition,” said Rice. “There are two parts, 90 minutes of free choice and 90 minutes of free response. National rankings are based half on the free choice and half on free response, so we still have a chance at ranking on the national level.”