Mental Game of a Tennis Player

You’re alone. You can’t depend on anyone and can’t expect anyone to come and help you. The only thing that’s keeping you calm and focused is your mind. You know that if you mentally collapse, it’s all over. Such is the mind of a singles tennis player.
Though some may say that tennis requires little athletic ability in comparison to other sports, they are completely wrong. In tennis, one needs stamina, quickness, and the ability to switch between defensive and offensive shots. Tennis is obviously not as aggressive as contact sports like football and not energy draining like soccer. However, the one difference that makes tennis stand out is the mental game.
Though other sports clearly require the same amount of focus and concentration as tennis, tennis is a sport where the minds of the opponents clash. Throughout the match, one needs to analyze their opponent and observe their flaws, preparing themselves to take the offensive on their opponent’s weaknesses. Furthermore, a strong will is required to repetitively hit shots and to continue battering the opponent’s will down little by little. Essentially, whoever is under more pressure and has a weaker desire to win the match will lose. That’s what makes the outcome of tennis matches between weaker and stronger players skill wise unpredictable.

Jake Lee, alone, and in the zone.
Jake Lee, alone, and in the zone. (William Wysession)

However, the most important part about a tennis player is self-acknowledgement. In a singles match, one must be aware that every shot, good or bad, is ultimately the result of one’s own ability. A tennis player can’t rely on other players as a crutch or depend on them to pull through for the win. Even the racket can’t be considered a partner, for it becomes apart of one’s own body and is simply an extension of one’s arm. Thus, in order for a tennis player to win a match, they must have confidence in themself as well as know that every point can be won.
Yet, a tennis player’s job is not done after their match. Reflection is a key part of the mental game of tennis. Not only is it necessary to analyze one’s opponent, but one must also study themself during and after a match. A tennis player must realize what his own weaknesses are so that he or she can avoid them during a match and strengthen their weaknesses in practices.
Perhaps the most difficult part about tennis is the necessity of repetition. One must always repeat the cycle of studying their opponent and improving their own ability if they wish to improve. However, it is easy to wander off during a match and robotically hit shots back to the opponent. Though natural skill can play a big role in the learning ability of tennis, hard work is necessary to up one’s game to the next level. The funny thing about tennis is that every good player thinks the exact same way, making winning even more difficult.
Tennis is a gentleman’s game, where wit and intelligence is key in comparison to athletic ability. You can never judge a tennis player off of appearance alone, for you never know how strong their mental capability is until you witness it during a match. Perhaps tennis not only reveals one’s mental ability in a match, but also relates to how players think intelligently in real life.