A Childhood Dream

As a childhood Marvel comic book consumer, it is not surprising that I was a fan of “The Avengers.”  It was everything that a comic book aficionado would hope for and then some.

In 2008, the Marvel movie, “Iron Man,” was released with almost $600 million in the box office. Ever since Robert Downey Jr. has starred as Tony Stark.  All around planet earth, the citizens of the Marvel fan base have been wondering how this classic series will end.

Hints of a team of superheroes working together first appeared in the credits of “Iron Man.”

Then we were captivated by the Norse Mythology Legend, Thor, who fights with a weapon only a Demigod deserves–a battle hammer. Then Captain America came, with his leadership abilities and moral compass. The epitome of brawn, the Hulk, Hawkeye and the Black Widow were also introduced. All of these super heroes combine in a clash against Thor’s adopted brother named Loki.

This epic buildup of heroes and role models would certainly end in an epic clash.

The director of this almost two-and-a-half hour movie long film is Josh Whedon. Whedon was born in the culture capital of New York City. As a child he was known for his love for comic books, and even wrote some of his own. One of the comics he wrote was Dark Horse Comics. This would later inspire him to create “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” “Firefly,” and “Dollhouse.” Through these experiences Whedon has cultivated his skills in directing supernatural storylines and that was clearly applied to- “The Avengers.”

“The Avengers” will not disappoint viewers and its profits do not deny that. The Avengers made more money over a weekend, then any other film-ever. From May 4 to May 6 it took the record with box office earnings of $207 million.

But back to the film itself.  Downey Jr. was humorous, and wild his fight scenes compelling. While at first I thought Hulk was there just to roar, I learned that he was something more. While staying the robust green monster he was, he was able to be witty, and of course, continued to take down anything in his path.

“The Avengers” exceeded my expectations. By incorporating Marvels most loved comic characters, “The Avengers” was able to create one of the most epic storylines on the clash of right and wrong.

Photo by: Marvel/MCT