Roger Federer Surpasses Jimmy Connors in Grand Slam Match Victories

On Wednesday morning in Roland Garros, France, Roger Federer won his 234th Grand Slam match in the Open Era, surpassing tennis legend Jimmy Connors for most all time Grand Slam match victories.

Federer won 6-3, 6-2, 6-7 (9), 6-3 over Adrian Ungur, who was able to put up a good fight for the 16 time Grand Slam title winner, but Ungur’s effort was not enough to prevent Fed’s record-setting day.

Even more impressive of Fed’s new record is the fact that he accomplished this feat at age 30, whereas Connors played until he was into his early 40’s. If Federer can remain healthy – and every indicator points to just that happening – he’ll push the Grand Slam matches won record higher and higher until retirement.

Fed, at a very young 30 for tennis standards, is still on the path to greatness. While he has managed to escape the limelight in recent tournaments, he has quietly gone about his business in 2012, compiling more titles in ATP tournaments than both world no.1 Novak Djokovic and no.2 Rafael Nadal. He holds 16 Major titles and looks for his 17th at Roland Garros this June in the French Open.

Federer has remarkably managed to stay healthy throughout his 15-year career. While Nadal is in his early 20’s still and consistently plays tournaments while being held together by a few strands of athletic tapes and bandages, Federer hardly ever suffers major setbacks and plays year in and year out. Brad Gilbert keeps calling him the Cal Ripken of tennis because of Federer’s longevity.

Now in his 50th consecutive Major appearance, Federer strives to push the Grand Slam match victories record higher, and hopefully claim the elusive 2012 French Open title.