Blockbuster Deal Finalized

It’s official. A trade that will send shortstop Jose Reyes, pitchers Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle, catcher John Buck and utility man Emilio Bonafacio to the Toronto Blue Jays from the Miami Marlins has been approved by Bud Selig, commissioner of baseball.

The Marlins obtain shortstop Yunel Escobar and prospects, along with considerable salary relief.

Reyes and Buehrle were signed by the Marlins last offseason in multi year contracts. However, after a last place finish in 2012, the Marlins ownership felt it was time for change. Reyes is a four time All Star, Buehrle a three time All Star and Johnson a two time All Star.

Marlins fans and players have expressed frustration over the trade. Before the 2012 season, the Marlins changed their name (they were previously known as the Florida Marlins), logo, stadium, manager and signed many new players. Now, the team has been completely dismanteled. Though some see it as a rebuilding stage, other Marlin fans see the trade as giving away the last assets the team has.

On the contrary, Blue Jays outfielder Jose Bautista is thrilled with the moves. On his twitter account, Bautista used the hastag “#HappierThanAwitchAtAbroomFactory” to describe his feelings about the trade.