A Victim Of The Steroid Era

Craig Biggio has never been accused of taking steroids by anyone but internet bloggers whose job is confined to speculation. So, in my opinion, it is unnecessary to exclude him from baseball’s highest honor: the Hall of Fame.

Biggio received the most votes (68.2%) of any person on the 2013 ballot, a ballot that yielded no Hall of Famers.

I personally understand why people do not vote for steroid users, players who cheated. But why not Biggio?

Craig Biggio led the Houston Astros to their most successful years since the team joined Major League Baseball. Biggio finished with 3,060 hits, the 21st most in baseball history. He finished with more hits than Rickey Henderson, Frank Robinson and Ted Williams, all Hall of Fame players.

Biggio is a victim of an era of cheaters. Some voters protested the entire Hall of Fame process because of the players who cheated, sending in blank ballots. Though there is no evidence saying he did anything wrong, Biggio is still excluded from an elite group that he deserves to be in.

Biggio takes a swing in the 2007 season. (Chris Lee/St. Louis Post-Dispatch/MCT)