All State Auditions

On Dec. 1, 2012, freshman Kentaro Umemori rode in a car for over two hours from St. Louis all the way to Columbia, Missouri for his All-State audition. After signing up and hanging out with other Clayton students where were there, as well as practice, for three hours, Umemori was finally called to audition.

“I thought I did okay, but my reed was a little dry, so I couldn’t do my best,” Umemori said. “They called me back like 20 minutes after my audition, so I didn’t even have time to be nervous.”

All students who the judges thought did well were called back to allow the judges to hear them again.

Thousands of high school students from all over Missouri had very similar experiences auditioning for All-State, but only a small fraction were as lucky as Umemori to actually make it in. The All-State Band and Orchestra are are two of the best performing opportunities that high school students can participate in, also making them two of the most difficult to get into. On average, the CHS students who made it into All-State practiced 18 hours per week.

From the CHS students who auditioned, a total of 16 students made it into All-State Band and Orchestra. For flute in All-State band, freshman Leah Peipert got second chair, freshman Maddy Goedegebuure as sixth chair, senior Sakurako Oyama as 11th chair and sophomore Risa Umemori as an honorable mention. Sophomore Ethan Leong made it as first chair oboe in band. Lastly, percussion in All-State band, senior Isaac Illivicky is first chair timpani with senior Dan Fan as the alternate for timpani, and junior Jeremy Glik received an honorable mention for snare drum.

In All-State Orchestra, freshman Cherry Tomatsu received first violin and sophomore Raymond Li, second violin. Sophomore Adam Garrett, senior Meredith McMahon, freshman Nuri Yi all are in the the viola section. Senior Allison Peipert is in the cello section. All orchestra members in All-State Orchestra will be auditioning again for their seating.

Strangely, band members were able to choose to be in All-State orchestra instead of band, with junior Shiori Tomatsu in first chair flute, and freshman Kentaro Umemori in second chair clarinet.

“I would have gotten second chair in both band and orchestra, but I chose to go to orchestra because there are less band members,” Umemori said. “Each band member is more important, allowing me to get more experience.”

All-State gives everyone a different experience. Freshman Lemuel Lan is one such example.

“It’d be both good and bad if there’s no one there that you knew,” he said. “It obviously makes you go and find people to make new friends with, but at the same time, you feel uncomfortable and a bit left out, almost making the trip not as enjoyable as you’d wish.”

For those who are planning to audition next year Lan gave a little advice.

“Obviously practice. Don’t stress too,” he said. “Honestly, whatever happens happens. And just take it. If you do make it, congrats, if you don’t, then just work hard for next year. It’s nothing you should worry yourself over or cry about it. There are other orchestras too. All-State isn’t your life.”