Mrs. Grady’s AP Lang Research

Last school year, after much contemplation, Emily Grady’s AP English class was interested in
researching how race may affect the achievement gap in classrooms, more specifically in regards to the
African-American population at CHS in comparison to the white population.

After performing numerous surveys and interviews, her students found evidence suggesting the
problem lied both inside and outside of the classroom. The achievement gap has troubled students and
faculty alike for decades and the research promoted proactive decisions by the district to encourage
dialogue about African-American achievement, not just in terms of the standardized test achievement
gap, but also in respect to the classroom experience, student-teacher relationships, and honors and AP
enrollment.

In 2013, the objective of the AP Language class will be quite different. The students enrolled in
the course have decided to research a topic that would still be relevant to students: How has the
advancement in technology (i.e. computer, smart phones, Facebook, Twitter) affected the study
patterns of students at CHS?

Senior Jack Klamer first proposed the idea to his classmates with the intuition that although
technology may have beneficial effects, it also has adverse effects that may alter the progress of your
intelligence.

“I realized that I had become a victim to the habit of constantly checking my phone and
Facebook,” Klamer said. “My performance was being hindered, even though my grades have gone up
through high school, as I’ve become more addicted to my phone and Facebook.”

Grady had only positive things to say about the chosen topic.

“This year, we have a very broad topic and it’s going to be highly informative; we are at the
beginning of a realization because there hasn’t been a lot of research associated with this topic,” Grady
said.

To kick start the research campaign, Klamer acknowledged that there is scientific evidence
suggesting “the brain can get chemically conditioned, like a real addiction, to the checking of Facebook
and phones. As biological beings were are social animals and are chemically rewarded for social
interaction; by checking Facebook and our phones we get a chemical release and can become addicted
to that release.”

In talking about her expectations for what this research may bring, Grady hopes for coexistence
between the advancement in technology and studying. “As we understand new things, we may figure
out how to let go of what we used to do and embrace what we can do.”