Musical Mondays

Musical Mondays

Becca Polinsky

Within the walls of a comfortable senior living facility, the gentle and alleviating sound of instruments plants a smile on the faces of fifty or more gleeful residents. On the most recent Monday, I was a member of the audience. Across from the Shaw Park tennis courts lies a tall building filled with elderly folks who appreciate and value the importance of music.

This strongly bound group of people eagerly waits for “Musical Mondays” at the Bethesda Barclay House. On the first Monday of every month, they huddle into the lobby of their building to listen to performances from several young musicians within the St. Louis area.

I recently attended a “Musical Monday” performance. As I very much enjoyed the musical skill of several teenagers from the St. Louis area, including my eighth grade sister Hava Polinsky, I found myself examining the joy of the appreciative residents surrounding me.

I’ve attended several of Hava’s musical performances throughout the years, where she performs in halls, theatres, churches and synagogues. I’ve watched her grow as a violinist and I have felt overwhelmingly proud of her accomplishments. Planning to attend a “Musical Monday” performance did not seem any different than any other performance.

But the residents at the Barclay House have come to build special relationships with some of the performers because of their love of music and also because of the commitment that these young people have made to them and this is what makes this place special.

I noticed that the audience sat straight in their chairs with true interest in the music and in Hava. Immediately after the performance, several members, who Hava refers to as her friends, rushed to her and expressed their amazement and gratitude. This is the moment I realized that acts of kindness such as sharing our talents could positively impact someone’s day, week, month or possibly their life.

To me, this was the best of numerous performances I’ve attended for my sister. Although she was not standing in a long black gown in front of hundreds of people, or performing on a famous stage with an incredible sound system, I was most proud of Hava this night.

I watched 50 elderly smiles thoroughly enjoy her talent and it made me feel dignified. I left the “Musical Monday” performance with more pride in my sister than ever before, and a new desire to encourage the talented young people of Clayton to share what they love to do.