Commercials go hand in hand with the Superbowl

The San Francisco 49ers face the Baltimore Ravens on February 3rd, 2013 in the Mercedes-Benz Super Dome in New Orleans, LA in Super Bowl XLVII. (Gene Sweeney Jr./Baltimore Sun/MCT)

As 2013 starts, so will the ever subtle change on what is present on our televisions. Every year, there’s a commercial that captures the eyes of American TV viewers, usually on Super Bowl Sunday.

The Super Bowl draws the largest group of viewers to one channel for any given program and the legacy of using it as a vehicle to reach the most homes in America is well documented. Whether it be Joe Greene giving a child a Coca-Cola, a kid dressed up as Darth Vader using the force to make the horn honk on a car, or the first Apple advertisement, all have grown to be a part of American lore.

There are even websites dedicated to showing the commercials of previous Super Bowls. But this marketing doesn’t come cheap.

According to an article from NBC News, $2.5 billion was spent on advertising for Super Bowl Sunday, with a 30 second commercial costing an average of $3.5 million in 2012, from 2002-2011. Anheuser-Busch Inbev leads the way with an estimation of $250 million being spent upon commercials on Super Bowl during this time period.

The question is, come February 3rd, what commercials will we remember years from now?

Many CHS students tune in to the big game as well as the advertisements and have some favorites that they consider the most memorable.

Senior Aaron Adams said the advertisement he remembers the most is one by Doritos. “The Don’t Touch My Doritos [first appeared on Superbowl Sunday in 2010] commercial.” As for why it stood out, “it was funny a little kid was punking a grown man.”

Sophomore Ethan Leech’s was one about Budlight. “Wego commercial [first appeared on Superbowl Sunday in 2012],” Leech said. “It was clever.”

Sophomore Isaac Fish thought an ad from Chrysler stood out as well. “Imported From Detroit [first appeared on Superbowl Sunday in 2011],” Fish said. “It was cool because it showed the rebuilding of the auto-industry.”

Staff members of CHS remember ads from a little further back, dating back to early 1980’s.

CHS Assistant Principal Dr. Marci Pieper thought Apple’s first commercial was iconic. “1984 Apple Commercial. Black and white. It was iconic,” Pieper said.

Teacher Adam Dunsker remembers a commercial featuring a character that has become a symbol of American lore. “First Energizer Bunny Commercial,” Dunsker said.  Dunsker felt that the way how the advertisement  flowed is the reason why it was so memorable.“It was the first I had seen that kind of playing with medium of 30 second commercials.”
Teacher Heath Kent remembers something a bit more comical. “Terry Tate-Office Linebacker [first appeared on Super Sunday in 2003],” Kent said. As for why Kent thought it was memorable. “It was funny because he was tackling guys, girls, everybody in the office. He was yelling at everybody.”