Lance Armstrong

Cancer survivor, inspirational cyclist, husband and father, Lance Armstrong has inspired millions of Americans for decades. His seven Tour de France medals signified the astronomical achievements for a man that overcame testicular cancer. Opening up charity foundations and publicizing the world-renown wristband “Livestrong,” Armstrong was considered invincible and symbolized America’s slogan – “never give up.” It was not until 2010 that Armstrong was driven back to Earth from his immortal status.
Floyd Landis, former teammate of Armstrong, accused Armstrong of doping in 2002 and 2003 after being found guilty himself. Although there were no records that showed Landis was correct, there is evidence that shows Armstrong bought a blood-testing machine back in 2002. After these initial allegations, a string of former teammates and cyclists have come out in defense of Landis and not Armstrong.
And now, finally, in 2013, Armstrong admitted to use of performance enhancing drugs with who else than Oprah Winfrey.
Lance Armstrong has been stripped of his seven Tour de France titles and may no longer be able to participate in professional cycling again. In addition, Nike, Anheuser Busch and Trek Bicycles cut ties with the former cyclist amidst the doping allegations. “Lance Armstrong has no place in cycling; he deserves to be forgotten in cycling,” Pat McQuaid, president of the Cycling Union, said. “Something like this must never happen again.”
Sports have seemingly become servants under the influence of performance enhancing drugs (PEDs) as many renowned players have admitted to their use. Recently, reports have resurfaced regarding Alex Rodriduez’s connections with PEDs at the start of his career and reports also claiming that all-pro linebacker Ray Lewis took drugs to decrease his time on the sidelines after an injury to his arm earlier this season.
The roots of the problem may never be fully understood or uncovered; however, one thing is certain, sports players have leaned on something other than just hard work and perseverance for a very long time; longer than anyone may expect. The culture of sports was masterfully hidden from the public for decades and it only seems fitting that there may be vast changes ahead concerning performance enhancing drugs. It’s only fair to those who are not cheating the system that we punish those who have cheated the system. What would players really give up to receive their temporary fame? Anything.
Lance Armstrong, once a revered cancer survivor, is now perceived as a “cheater.” Armstrong will forever be remembered for his inability to reveal the truth. But the uncovering of the shallow truths among these high profile athletes surely signal the changing nature of American culture outside of sports. Moral character and values are simply lower on many people’s priorities when compared to fame, money and success. Maybe, just maybe, Armstrong’s truth is just what we need to spark a change in the lives of Americans across the country.