Watching the Inauguration

When I read that I had been invited to the 57th Presidential Inauguration, my first thought was, “I’ll miss two days of school.”

I didn’t have a second coherent thought once I comprehended what I had read.

Junior Abbie Kohmetscher and I traveled to the inauguration from Jan. 19 to Jan. 23 with the High School Presidential Inaugural Conference (HPIC).  This five-day trip was packed with events, including listening to famous guest speakers, dancing in the Smithsonian, and (of course) attending the inauguration near the front of the crowd of 600,000.

DAYS 1 AND 2

On Saturday, after 2000 scholars convened in D.C. to participate in the HPIC program, the satire group “Capitol Steps” cracked jokes at politicians and celebrities.  The following morning, we had the privilege of listening to former secretary of state Condoleezza Rice discuss her opinions on choices and on democracy.  She first recounted her childhood dream of becoming a concert pianist and her search for the right career.  Dr. Rice said, “If you don’t find passion, passion will find you.”  She then explained her experiences as a secretary of state and her opinions on international relations and democracy.  Rice received roaring applause and a standing ovation after her inspiring speech.

Later that evening, we watched “All the Presidents’ Men”, a film on the Watergate Scandal, and talked to Watergate journalist Bob Woodward and journalist/anchor Nick Clooney (yes, he’s George Clooney’s father).  Woodward investigated into the Watergate scandal despite the disapproval of the White House, the ridicule of other newspapers, and the reluctance of his own newspaper to run his stories.   Woodward’s persistence showed that even the president could be brought down by ordinary people and that no man has too much power in our democracy.  Mr. Clooney then moderated a Q&A session with Woodward and discussed the life of a journalist and Woodward’s experiences after Watergate.  I had the opportunity to take a picture with them and ask them the following question:  “Do you envision any difficulties in the future separating the press’s desire for truth with the press’s potential political bias?”  The evening with the two journalists was enjoyable, and the students went to bed in anticipation for the next day’s events.

Me with Bob Woodward and Nick Clooney

DAY 3

Inauguration day.  The scholars woke up for breakfast at 4 am and stopped by the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum before waiting outside the Capitol Building for 3 hours.  At the inauguration, we were able to see Chief Justice Roberts swear in President Barack Obama.  Obama then gave his inauguration speech on the theme of journeys.  We also heard poet Richard Blanco and singers Kelly Clarkson and Beyoncé before running back to our busses.  That evening, the band “All-Star Weekend” performed at our hotel.

DAY 4

On the 4th day, speakers Claes Nobel and General Wesley Clark spoke to the HPIC Conference.  Nobel discussed his opinions on human potential in his capacity as the chairman of the Nobel Committee.  Nobel said, “We are capable of doing almost anything- incredible good, but also incredible evil.  I urge you to look past all of the atrocities and disasters and hope, as I do, that men and women will make the right decisions.”

Contrastingly, General Clark gave a speech on the qualities of leaders and his experiences in military with leadership.  Clark asserted that all leaders must believe in themselves, respect others, and be competent in their work.  The 4-star general then told stories about his childhood (including the time he was forced to jump off a 40-meter-high bridge- he had an epiphany about self-confidence as he plunged into shallow water) and about his service in Vietnam and in Kosovo.

The HPIC ended its final night with a gala at the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy center.  There were dances, movies, games, rocket simulators, foodstuffs- a fitting way to end an amazing trip.

Looking Forward

There are varying opinions on Obama’s leadership during his first term.  However, it is the duty of American citizens to unite behind our president and work with him to solve this country’s current problems and finish the journey that President Obama started in 2009.

In his 2nd inauguration speech, Obama said, “It is now our generation’s task to carry on what those pioneers began. For our journey is not complete until our wives, our mothers, and daughters can earn a living equal to their efforts…

Our journey is not complete until our gay brothers and sisters are treated like anyone else under the law – for if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well…

Our journey is not complete until we find a better way to welcome the striving, hopeful immigrants who still see America as a land of opportunity; until bright young students and engineers are enlisted in our workforce rather than expelled from our country…

Our journey is not complete until all our children, from the streets of Detroit to the hills of Appalachia to the quiet lanes of Newtown, know that they are cared for, and cherished, and always safe from harm…

We, the people, still believe that every citizen deserves a basic measure of security and dignity. For we remember the lessons of our past, when twilight years were spent in poverty, and parents of a child with a disability had nowhere to turn. We do not believe that in this country, freedom is reserved for the lucky, or happiness for the few.”

Obama’s speech touched on many key issues and whether we agree with his beliefs or not, the president is doing his best to defend the life, liberty, and happiness of his people.  All of us, regardless of race, gender, income, or political beliefs, hope for the best from the second term of the 44th President of the United States, Barack Obama.

At the HPIC conference, Claes Nobel concluded his speech by saying, “Hope is as important to life as is a healthy, beating heart.  We of the Nobel Committee poured forth our own aspirations when we awarded him the Nobel Peace Prize.  I sincerely wish that President Obama can live up to the hopes of this nation and of this world.”