CHS Snow Days

In the midst of a winter that lured shorts and flip-flops to school with an abnormal day of Fahrenheit temperature in the high 60’s, CHS students had lost all hope of receiving the only 6 am wake up call that can make them happy: the snow day call.

That was not the only reason the double snow day came as a surprise this year.

Superintendent Wilkinson, who has the final word on canceling school, is from Chicago, where the snow storms make St. Louis flurries look like powdered sugar on a pancake.

Perhaps this is the reason that CHS snow days are not what one would expect; they are seen as a gift from god.

As hopes for a snow day multiplied this year, Ladue’s superstitious high schoolers summoned the snow by wearing their pajamas inside out, flushing ice cubes down the toilet, and viciously updating their facebook statuses with new forecasts.

Meanwhile, CHS students respectfully solicited the powers of “Snow Day Jr.”, (“son” of last year’s “Snow Day”), the comical facebook identity of a hidden CHS student who predicts snow days with precision and enlightens students as well as administrators with his proclamations, made in a biblical dialect.

Besides catching up on some sleep, the snow day activities vary between grades.

Freshman Grace Harrison, after “screaming and dancing around the house for a little bit” in excitement, planned her snow day out carefully so that it would not be wasted. She began it by going to a movie with friends. “That was fun because we were the only ones stupid enough to drive to the theatre, so we were the only ones there”, Harrison said.

The rest of the day was filled with shoveling, snow ball fights, horror movies, and of course, sledding at Art Hill, one of the St. Louis snow day favorites.

While some sophomore guys joined their friends on the snowy slopes, others compensated for their sunny sports cravings indoor, with their electronics. “I was so excited that we didn’t have school, and decided to spend my day playing FIFA. Most of my friends either sledded or played Xbox”, sophomore Hayden O’Brien said. Thanks to Wi-Fi, video gamers were able to connect and compete live with their friends, snow or shine.

This year, many Honors American Literature Juniors rejoiced at the fact that the snow day provided an extra day to work on the notorious Author Paper outlines. “Snow day? More like outline day!” Junior Chad Yip said. The free day was a stress reliever and prevented quite a few all-nighters.

For other Juniors, it was an opportunity to earn some extra cash, shoveling snow. “I charge $10 for a driveway”, Junior Sri Panth said. “I think I got a bit greedy though,” [clutching his back], “and shoveled one too many”.

Seniors, on the other hand, are much more relaxed when school is called off. “I sat in my house with my friends for 48 hours STRAIGHT (besides to walk in the snow) and watched How I Met Your Mother!” Senior Dylan Brown said.

Besides, second semester seniors are always satisfied to encounter a new excuse to avoid homework. A snow day is no remedy for their senioritis. “I don’t know of any seniors that opened their backpacks”, Brown said, “until maybe 8 pm, Thursday night, when every school was called off besides us!”

Regardless of the traditions or activities of the snow day, the Friday phone call that made the four-day weekend official called for celebration from all students since their stresses disappeared faster than melting snow.