Sports Inspirations

In sports, everyone needs a role model.  Someone who they feel can push them to become better than before.

Role models can be famous or people you come in contact with in everyday life.  In sports, these role models help push you forward to accomplish something.

A study by the University of Ballarat introduces the idea that role models in sports increase the number of athletes to participate in said sport.

Students who have role models look at sports in a more positive light.  They have a direction to look towards.

CHS athletes have a number of reasons why they play the sport, role models being a part of it.

Sophmore Noah Engel plays sports for a number of reasons including being a better person and teaching him the discipline and sacrifice which he can carry over into life.

Noah runs cross country for the school cross country team and one person who he looks up to is Steve Prefontaine.  Prefontaine serves as a role model for Engel because no matter what was going on in his life outside of sports, he never let anything affect the effort he put forth when racing.

Engel said that, “Steve Prefontaine makes me want to push myself harder.  I know that if he could focus all his efforts into racing, so can I.”

Having someone to look up to in sports is something that many athletes do.  They set a goal for themselves that they work towards whenever they step out to the playing field.

“I think that having a role model is something that everyone should do,” Engel said.  He believes that role models provide people with a positive base for their athletics, and something to strive for.

Although it is necessary for role models to be good at the sport that they play, their character really affects their effectiveness as a role model.  A key part to being a role model is to have a character which reflects one’s morals and opinions.