My Day at Sherwood Forest Camp

Remember sixth grade camp? We all piled onto school buses, traveled over an hour to a camp with wooden cabins, few showers, and much fun in store for us. Some people enjoyed it so much that we came back as CIT’s in eighth grade, or as counselors later in high school.

However, Wydown Middle School students aren’t the only ones to benefit from Sherwood Forest Camp. Every summer, underprivileged kids have the opportunity to go to camp there.  The camp, unfortunately, is getting old.

The solution?  This weekend, I traveled to the camp with a friend and we helped fix up the grounds for the summer.  A roofing company was redoing roofs in the Shire cabin village

Talbot Holmes and me, Dani Skor, clearing brush to be turned into wood chips this weekend.

, Habitat for Humanity volunteers were there, and more volunteers were working on the barn.  A stage was being built in a big clearing, and two new cabins went up. Painters were fixing up the outside of the cabins..  I, personally, worked with a group to clear brush, and put it in a wood chipper.  We then spread the wood chips around Tango Tower.

It was loud and difficult work, but it was worth it.  This summer, kids who might not otherwise have a fun way to spend their summer will benefit from the work that all the volunteers did this weekend.  It just goes to show how spending a day working for others can really benefit them.