Stand Up For Smaller Sports

Can you name the captain of the U.S. golf team?  What about the equestrian team?  Maybe if you’re a die hard fan, but most likely not.  Smaller sports don’t usually get that much attention compared to larger sports like football and soccer.

It’s easy to not play close attention to smaller sports at CHS. However the students on these teams put in equal amounts of hours, and should be recognized the same.

One of the efforts to recognize these sports is that GNN has been noting every sports team that has a game, a meet, or any type of competition.

This allows those students who participate in smaller sports to be awarded for their effort.  But is that enough?  Not really.  When even small sports have home games, students should come out to support each other, just like they do for bigger sports.

Many of us know about the football players who are planning to play in college, but we might not know of any other athletes who will play for their college.

A senior from last year, Elizabeth Krane, is swimming at Southern Methodist University, a division one school, and Laura Bleeke is rowing for Harvard, another division one school.  Carly Cassidy, a senior this year, will play tennis for nationally ranked Arizona University next year.

Every member of a team should be recognized for their dedication and effort.  Maybe congratulate someone on their win in the hallway, but try to make it known that you appreciate their hard work.