Just Five More Minutes

Aluratek Internet Radio Alarm Clock with built in Wi-Fi streams via built-in 802.11g Wi-Fi or the ethernet port and has dual alarm functionality. (Aluratek/MCT)

MCT

Nisha Klein, Page Editor

You are pulled abruptly from your sleep by the blaring of your alarm. Already, every muscle in your body aches, and you can barely move your legs to crawl out of bed. Then, you’re rushing to get ready for school, and your day has already started. And all you want to do is close your eyes and take a short nap. Mornings are difficult for almost everyone. However, there is a stereotype that teenagers are lazy and always tired; the teenagers shown in movies and TV shows are ones who groan when they have to get up, and sleep late on the weekends, stumbling out of bed late in the afternoon.

Many recent studies have found that there might be a reason for this: during puberty, the circadian rhythm that allows humans to fall asleep and wake up shifts. As The National Sleep Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to the research of sleep and sleep disorders, says, “This shift in teens’ circadian rhythm causes them to naturally feel alert later at night, making it difficult for them to fall asleep before 11:00 pm.”

The article goes on to explain how this shift also makes it harder to wake up early in the morning, and that, “the strongest circadian ‘dips’ tend to occur between 3:00-7:00 am and 2:00-5:00 pm, but the morning dip (3:00-7:00 am) can be even longer if teens haven’t had enough sleep….” Another scientist explains that, “…at around the beginning of adolescence, there is a natural delay in fall-asleep time and wake time. So that the average teenager can’t fall asleep much before 11 o’clock.” Which also means that, in order to get the recommended hours of sleep, it is necessary for teenagers to sleep later than they do.

Because of the amount of homework, many high school students don’t go to bed until very late at night, and then have to get up early for school the next morning. 

When students are exhausted, they are not only unable to focus, but it is also hard to understand things said to them, and think during class or while doing work. Going to school and doing homework can be unbearable. Since most students play sports, not only do they then have to attend the practice while exhausted, but may not actually get home until the evening. This then continues the cycle of late night homework, and early morning rising.

Not only this, but sleep deprivation can cause serious health risks later in life, aside from the many short term damages. Not getting enough sleep badly affects things such as your memory, attention and focus or alertness, overall performance during the day, and increased stress.

Exhaustion while driving is actually similar to drunk driving, some say; according to WebMD, “The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates conservatively that each year drowsy driving is responsible for at least 100,000 automobile crashes, 71,000 injuries, and 1,550 fatalities.”

As for long term risks, lack of sleep is associated with, for example, high blood pressure, heart attacks or heart failure, stroke, obesity, mood disorders such as depression, ADD and Alzheimer’s Disease. Sleep deprivation can also cause other forms of mental impairment, as well as slowing down growth in children.

“The research is clear that adolescents who get enough sleep have a reduced risk of being overweight or suffering depression, are less likely to be involved in automobile accidents, and have better grades, higher standardized test scores and an overall better quality of life,” says Dr. Judith Owens, quoted in an NBC news article.

While 9.5 hours is the recommended amount of sleep, a 2014 study found that only about 15% of United States high school students sleep at least 8.5 hours. Some students are up late working on homework, while others go out with their friends. Some are up until 4 in the morning because they have to finish their book, while others may go to bed early, but wake up when it’s still dark outside to get to school on time.

Because of all the dangers of sleep deprivation, many schools are considering starting later in the day.

Perhaps the main reason for sleep deprivation among teens is school hours and amount of homework, or perhaps it’s simply because of the shift in their circadian rhythm. Whatever the reason may be, the fact is that high school students aren’t getting enough sleep, which is really dangerous. Or as Dr. Judith Owens puts it, “These kids are essentially in a permanent state of jet lag.”