Profiles in Leadership: Marybeth Sullivan

“You know, no matter what, we all places we can lead.”

Photo+of+Marybeth+Sullivan.+%28Photo+from+Marybeth+Sullivan%29+

Photo of Marybeth Sullivan. (Photo from Marybeth Sullivan)

Noah Brown, Managing Editor

How long have you worked in the Clayton School District? Do you have any favorite memories?
It’s been a long time. Well, I started at Clayton High School and worked there for several years, and then I came to Captain Elementary where I’ve worked ever since, for 21 years. As far as favorite memories, there are so many. I’ve built relationships with great students and great teachers and have cherished so many memories, it’s hard to choose just a few.

What are some of your responsibilities?

I help manage the library, help assist students in getting what they need, whether it be research or a book, etc. I make sure teachers can come in the library with their classes and use the resources we have in the library.

Is the library a place where the students feel comfortable? How?
I think and really hope our students feel safe and comfortable in the library. We do everything we can to accomplish that. The environment, I think, is one that lets students make decisions and learn. I love to pass on my passion for learning with the students and they seem to pick up on that.

What is the most fulfilling thing about your job?

In general, making an impact in the students lives. Many probably don’t realize it as elementary school students, but helping them develop skills or develop the love for learning, things that they can use in their future, is the most fulfilling thing. Knowing I’ve made a difference is the best part. As support staff, you don’t always consider yourself a leader, and I’ve never really thought of myself in that way, but when you’re helping those around you, you’re being a leader. You know, no matter what, we all have places we can lead.