Feminism Club

Nisha Klein, Page Editor

“A feminist is anyone who recognizes the equality and full humanity of women and men.” This quote, said by Gloria Steinem, sums up the entire idea of feminism. Feminism is simply believing in equality, not only between genders, but of all people. And, yet, so many people remain blind to what it actually means.

In September 2014, a young woman who many still recognize as Hermione Granger stood up and delivered a speech at the UN Headquarters in New York, launching the #heforshe campaign. Emma Watson spoke of topics ranging from gender inequality and stereotypes, to the oppression of women, from the definition of feminism, to how sexism similarly affects men. She said, “I have realized that fighting for women’s rights has too often become synonymous with man-hating. If there is one thing I know for certain, it is that this has to stop,” describing how boys are taught to swallow their emotions, while girls are taught to silence themselves. She discussed how, as she says, “…my recent research has shown me that feminism has become an unpopular word. Women are choosing not to identify as feminists,” and that “…..if you still hate the word, it is not the word that is important. It’s the idea and the ambition behind it.” Watson passionately adds how, in order  for the movement to succeed, everyone needs to participate, and everyone needs to care. Her powerful speech and the #HeforShe campaign encouraged men to join the feminist movement and advocate not only for the rights and recognition of women, but also because misogynistic stereotypes and ideals affect men and boys as well.

Many of you have probably seen the posters in the hallway. Written mostly in bright pink, they display small drawings that represent different facets of what gender equality is and what feminism means.

“We feel that over time, teenage girls have a lot of built up internal misogyny. Our goal is to remind girls to love themselves, look out for other girls, and to know that being a woman makes you just as valuable as a man,” said Erin Bingaman, one of the founders of the Feminism Club.

Bingaman and Keely von Gemmingen, started the club because they felt it was important for girls to support other girls, and to have a ‘safe and supportive’ community. “Keely said we should look to see if there was a feminism club at the high school. When there wasn’t, we were pretty disappointed. But then we just decided to start our own,” Bingaman said.

In addition to being there to support teenage girls and boys, the Feminism Club is also here to educate.

Despite what many argue, we live in a patriarchy. We live in a world where women are paid less than men, are given fewer rights, are taught to act and live a certain way, and are not safe to walk alone at night.

Women grow up being told that their appearance and body is more important than anything else about them, and that people will always take advantage of that. Feminists believe that this is wrong. They believe that women are just as human as men are, and deserve to be treated just as equally—not the “same,” just equally.

Feminism is not female supremacy, or “hating men.” Feminists do not support misandry, matriarchy, or any form of the oppression of men. So-called “Meninists,” who argue that their rights are being violated by giving women the same rights, are ignoring the fact that they’ve had those rights far longer than females, and still retain rights that women don’t have.

The Feminism Club meets Friday mornings, at 7:30, in room 7. No matter what you’ve ever heard about feminism, or what you think it means, just answer this question: do you believe that women and men should have the same rights, that women and men should be treated the same way by others, get paid the same amount, and that women should be able to feel safe living as a woman? Because that is all that feminism is.

If you do believe that–which you should–then set your alarm on Thursday night.

Whether you are female, or male, or neither, or both, this club is here to support you.

“At first it was really hard to spread the word about the club, and when we did we got kind of a negative reaction,” Bingaman said. “Not many people showed up to the meetings. But then, once we got people who really cared about the issue at hand, more people began showing up. It has created a very positive environment for everyone in the club, and I’m really happy that we decided to do it!”