Freshman Class Officers

Devin Froehlich and Sarah Franzel

An officer. A person holding a position of command. Four elected students have been given the title of class officers. President Brian Cheng, vice president Izzy Mills, secretary Caroline Marsden and treasurer Gabe Johnson are the freshman class officers. The proceedings of the freshman class at CHS is in their hands.

“[We] really don’t have control over other freshman, we are just the ones who speak on behalf of the students and we are just trying to make everyone’s high school experience a great one,” said secretary of the freshman class, Caroline Marsden.

Underneath the somewhat harsh title of officer there is an underlying passion for enriching their peers high school experience that the class officers have which motivates them to do what they do.

“We are responsible for making homecoming run smoothly, which includes decorating the commons [and] demonstrating and showing spirit as students,” said freshman class vice president, Izzy Mills.

They set an example for other freshman. The standard is set for the class’s behavior during homecoming by these four officers. “[For homecoming] there has been a freshman t-shirt designed [and] decorations planned,” Marsden said. They want to be the reason that the class has memorable moments of a freshman homecoming and other events.

So far there have only been three meetings for class officers. In these meetings the officers contribute ideas and combine their ideas to agree on a decision. In the past meetings the class officers worked on planning the freshman float, decoration of the commons, and designing class shirts and bracelets. These ideas have nothing to do with the other freshman outside of class officers. This puts the full responsibility in their hands.

The four freshman officers (Brian Cheng, Caroline Marsden, Izzy Mills, and Gabe Johnson) have already helped planned an event. You have probably heard about it over announcements. Oct. 2nd, a Friday, is an event for freshmen to help decorate the commons and watch Monsters Inc. which happens to be the homecoming theme for Freshman. 9th graders can also help decorate the freshman float to match the Monsters Inc. theme.

The class officers spend some time with an adult, Marsden tells us about 65 percent of their time is spent with an adult, and the rest is spent interacting and sharing ideas with fellow officers. They are very dedicated, they make most of the homecoming decisions for freshman to ensure a great time.

“I am someone who really likes to get involved. I like to be a leader and I’m very interested in helping to plan homecoming,” Mills said. The class officers have really been dedicated to taking time out of their own schedules to work the benefit of their class.

The freshman class officers, although so new to the system, have done a great job thus far of making CHS a better place not only for themselves, but their peers too.