New frozen yogurt shop builds on success of other popular locations

A new frozen yogurt shop is scheduled to open later this year at 7610 Wydown Blvd. next to Protzels Delicatessen. The restaurant, named Chill, will have self-serve yogurt machines in a similar style to University City store, Fro-Yo.
The shop’s name, Chill, and the store’s architectural plans were approved by the Clayton Planning and Zoning Board at their December 21, 2009 meeting. Jim Liberman,
Commissioner of the Planning and Zoning Board, elaborated on the topic.
“We approved the store and the changes they made to their prior plans,” Liberman said. “They are all set to open when the construction is complete.”
Though similar to Fro-Yo, the owner plans to build off Fro-Yo’s successes and faults. Like Fro-Yo, they plan to have a gourmet topping buffet, where customers scoop out the amount of topping they would like. However, they plan to revitalize Fro-Yo’s sampling system, though no specific method for changing the sampling process was mentioned at the meeting.
Concerns for the store are the small size, at 1,100 square feet, and problems with trash outside the store. The Chill representative at the meeting settled these issues with a proposal for outdoor benches and an agreement to make sure the area around the store was free of litter.
Since Great Harvest Bread Company moved from Davis Place, several members of the community have been disappointed with a lack of snack options within walking distance. Chill hopes to garner the walking community as potential customers.
The store also hopes to receive business from students from Wydown Middle School walking westward on Wydown Blvd. Reed Joern, an eighth grader at Wydown and a Davis Place resident, expressed excitement when hearing of the new yogurt store.
“Fro-Yo is really good since it is different from most ice-cream stores, and the candy buffet has a lot of different selections.” Joern, who walks home on Wydown Blvd., said. “I would stop to eat at this new store when I walk home. I bet this new place will be popular if it is like Fro-Yo.”
In order to promote outdoor eating, two state-of-the-art benches are planned to be placed outside the doors. Also, just across the street is Acorn Park, which Chill owner hopes customers will utilize to eat their ice-cream, as the indoor seating runs on the small side.
The store will likely feature four frozen yogurt machines, as opposed to six at Fro-Yo. Trendy furniture and a sleek design are planned for the interior of the store. The storefront will be renovated to feature an aluminum clad window and painted wood panel system.
Residents of Clayton may find a new way to cool off this summer with Chill.

View Comments (1)
$150
$2000