Michael Melinger

Barry Ford in Stuber Gymnasium

Barry Ford

His love for sports has been a constant in the equation of his life. As a child, he commanded a presence on the turf in Little Rock, Arkansas.
“Teachers and several coaches asked me to play on an organized team when I was 10 years old. Teachers would point me out to coaches on the playground and the coaches would approach me in elementary school,” CHS physical education teacher Barry Ford said.
And relatively little has changed about Ford since his childhood years.
“I still enjoy sports. I have always had a passion for people and helping others,” Ford said.
After graduating from Little Rock Mills High School in 1982, Ford briefly attended University of Central Arkansas before transferring to Harding University, where he played on both the football and track teams.
It didn’t take long for Ford to find his place.
“I attended a teachers’ job fair at UMSL in 1989 and was hired by Clayton School District and I have been here ever since,” he said.
Ford’s path to becoming a teacher was fueled by his sincere interest in helping others and the inspiration he received from his mother, a former teacher. For Ford, teaching was always more than just a career.
“I think teaching is not only my passion but also my purpose in life,” he said.

Ford coaching boys’ basketball in 1992. From Claymo Yearbook.

Ford’s positive impact within the walls of CHS takes on many shapes; within his many capacities, however, his students are continually inspired by his unwavering positivity.
“He is such a positive, loving person and I never had anything but respect for him,” CHS graduate (‘16) Brian Gatter said. “He knows how to push people and bring out the best part of their personalities.”
Ford’s positive outlook is also contiguous with those he works with.
“Coach Ford is someone that brings an aura of positivity around all he comes in contact with. No matter the situation Coach Ford is able to be positive in the face of adversity,” CHS assistant principal Ryan Luhning said.
But perhaps Ford’s endless optimism is merely a byproduct of a deeper purpose he is reminded of every time he walks through the doors of CHS.
“[My purpose is] to make a positive difference and prepare my students for life. [I’ve always sought to teach students] the purpose in life and the true meaning of love,” Ford said.
To many, Ford is more than just a physical education teacher; he is a figure for guidance and support.
“Even though it’s been awhile since I was in his class, I know I can still approach Coach Ford for advice at any moment. Coach Ford truly cares about his students and athletes on a very personal level,” CHS junior Julia Beliz said.
When asked what he’d be doing if he wasn’t teaching, Ford said, “I would be working in the community as a mentor for youth and coaching. I have a passion to mentor others and give back to society.”
In addition to teaching physical education classes, Ford has coached several sports teams at CHS and currently serves as CHS girls’ track coach. Ford’s coaching responsibilities have added to his abilities to have an impact on the lives of CHS students.

“I have been a part of the development of many student athletes over the years and it has been a real joy,” Ford said. “I get to spend time with the students outside of the classroom building their character through sports.”
Ford’s emphasis on building relationships with his student-athletes doesn’t go unnoticed.
“On and off the track, Coach Ford has always been one of the nicest people [to me] at CHS. He will always be the first to say hello and and ask how my day has been or how I’m feeling before a workout,” CHS senior track runner Mary Kate Gelzer said. “Ford values each individual on his team and it’s evident in the way he acts.”
Ford’s life is also defined by the immense value he places on his family – whether it’s his real family, which consists of his wife Rosalyn and his three children, Shatara, Barissa and Brandon, or the over 800 students at CHS that make up what he calls his “extended family.”
For several years, Ford had members of both families together in one building. Ford’s children attended the Clayton School District and benefited from their father’s sincere interest in helping them succeed in and out of the classroom.
“The most rewarding part of going to the school where my dad taught was being able to get school-related advice from him right away,” CHS graduate Brandon Ford said. “He cared about my schoolwork and whenever I needed help, I knew that he was close and willing to give whatever support was necessary.”
Brandon Ford believes his father’s mark on CHS extends far beyond the confines of sport or physical education.
“First and foremost, I believe that my father’s presence alone at CHS was groundbreaking. Years ago, African Americans were generally dissuaded from Clayton schools. My dad helped further Clayton’s integration efforts,” Brandon Ford said. “On a more personal level, my dad will be remembered for how well he could relate to the trends of young people and adults alike. He unselfishly immersed himself in student activities and offered an encouraging voice to every conversation.”
Luhning insists that, despite the void that will be felt following Ford’s departure, his impact will not soon be forgotten.
“Coach Ford has helped make CHS a wonderful place. This place has been around for 100 years and will be around for at least 100 more so we are all just placeholders as we pass through,” Luhning said. “But people like Coach Ford will never completely go away as he will be thought of and talked about for years to come.

$150
$2000