Social activities build community among staff

Each department at CHS is like separate ingredients in a recipe, but when they join together, they form a wonderful mixture of community.
Every department hosts a get-together to help construct unity and bring together the staff. The teachers gathered on Jan. 22, 2010, for the Seventh Annual Chili Cook-Off during school and for the Clayton Hyper-Bowl-ic Tournament after classes ended.
The performing arts department hosts the Chili Cook-Off every year.
“We invite other staff members, make chilies, and then taste them,” performing arts department assistant Stephanie Manny said. “We then vote on our favorite one for a contest. The winner receives a plaque that they get to keep for one whole year. This year’s winner was Linda Kelly, the campus supervisor.”
This year, student entertainment was provided for the teachers’ luncheon, a new touch.
“The cast from ‘Sweeny Todd’ sang songs from the musical,” Manny said. “This year, not only was the Cook-Off a good way for everyone to have lunch together, it was also a good way to promote the musical.”
The science department hosts a bowling tournament, which is known as the Hyper-bowl-ic Tournament, after school on the same day as the Chili Cook-Off.
“Teams of administrators and teachers from around the district compete against one another for the coveted trophy,” AP Chemistry teacher Nathan Peck said. “It builds a sense of community, though, because it is such a fun activity. It’s a chance to start a new semester and see teachers we usually don’t get to see.”
The winning team was composed of science teachers Mike Howe, Rex Rice, Chuck Collis, and Peck. According to Howe, this year’s game highlight was Rice’s score of 220 points.
The math department actually started the bowling tournament tradition. Now, the math department hosts a golf tournament at the end of the year.
“It’s just a fun way to get together with other departments and district,” math teacher Mike Rust said. “People from the middle and elementary schools and the administration office come to these activities.”
These events have grown more popular, more interesting, and more fun as the years have gone on.
“Everything is always a lot of fun,” Manny said. “We always enjoy each other’s company.”