CHS students take on Missouri All State Orchestra

This past week, from Jan. 27-30, the 2010 Missouri All State Orchestra commenced. Many CHS students were in attendance after an arduous preparation process.

CHS students Elle Jacobs, Matthew Millett, Richard Millett, Henry Myers, and Daniel Peipert all participated in the Missouri All State Orchestra.

After an hours-long trek to Tan Tar A Resort in Osage Beach, the students rehearsed and performed three pieces over their stay at Tan Tar A. The pieces were Samuel Barber’s Adagio for Strings, Tchaikovsky’s Capriccio Italien, and Kirt Mosier’s Run.

Run, written by Missouri composer Mosier, was a commissioned piece for the event.

Junior Elle Jacobs greatly enjoyed the pieces, particularly with a group of such talented student musicians.

“They were really fun to play because they sounded really good and really pretty,” Jacobs said. “I was happy to be playing them.”

Playing the pieces with such skill and achieving the honor of performing in the All State Orchestra was no easy task, however. The audition process involved different stages and required a great deal of practice.

“We went to Mizzou and we auditioned there,” Myers said. “That determined whether you got in. A few days ago, we actually went to All State and that’s where we re-auditioned with what we would actually be playing.”

In addition to performing in the more serious aspects of the event and the difficult audition process, Jacobs also found the experience to be very fun for her and fellow students.

“I thought it was really fun and I got close to people that I knew from earlier,” Jacobs said. “I’m really good friends with them now.”