Boys’ Varsity Soccer Emerges Victorious in CYC Tournament

The CHS Boys' Varsity Soccer teams wins the CYC Bob Guelker soccer tournament division championship for the first time since 2009.

Back to Article
Back to Article

The hounds pose for a photo with their plaque after defeating Alton Marquette to win the CYC tournament and become the #1 ranked small school in St. Louis.

Rohan Tripathy

Rohan Tripathy

Rohan Tripathy

The odds seemed stacked against the Greyhounds.

They were playing their third game in 24 hours against a team that had not lost a match since September of 2017. Junior Rohan Tripathy, key center back, was out with an injury sustained in a game earlier that day.

However, after a goal from senior Max Boeger in the final 10 minutes, the varsity boys’ soccer team emerged victorious over Alton Marquette Catholic high school in the division championship of the 64th annual CYC Bob Guelker soccer tournament. The game marked the Hounds’ first CYC tournament win since 2009, and the first win under head coach Tom Redmond.

“I’m happy because the players get a little payoff and recognition for the hard work they have been putting in all season,” Redmond said. “I’m really proud of our guys for putting together a full 80 minutes, and it finally came together at the right time.”

That goal counted, only one goal was scored. But I was finishing a good team effort, the result of good play.”

— Max Boeger, Senior

Clayton and Marquette entered the game with a history. During the first game of the CYC tournament, Alton Marquette ended the Hound’s winning streak with a 3-3 draw. The championship match offered a chance at redemption and an opportunity for CHS to become the top-ranked small school soccer team in the area.

Both teams played well defensively throughout the game, which remained scoreless into the 80th minute. After senior Ben Stapleton was fouled outside of Marquette’s penalty box, senior James Dulle stepped up to take the free kick. He sent a cross to senior Max Boeger, who headed the ball past the keeper and into the net.

“I knew it was coming across, I knew I had to get up and get it and put it in,” Boeger said. “That goal counted, only one goal was scored. But I was finishing a good team effort, the result of good play.”

Junior Andrew Matheny made several important saves to maintain the Hounds’ clean sheet to the end of the game. The win improves the Hounds’ undefeated record to 13-0-1 as they continue their season.

About the Writer
Jacob LaGesse, Editor-in-Chief

Jacob is a senior at CHS and this is his fourth year on the Globe. He is currently serving as the Editor-in-Chief, and in the past has served as Senior Managing Editor and News...