Back to Article
Back to Article

Pro/Con: Cut Policy

The girls' varsity volleyball team hypes themselves up just before a game. The inclusive policy of volleyball and other Clayton sports has come into question recently as the athletic participation policy changed.

Audrey Deutsch

Audrey Deutsch

Audrey Deutsch

Pro/Con: Cut Policy

November 9, 2018

Should CHS keep its no-cut policy?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Clayton has strong athletic participation in its student body, due to its unique no-cut policy where everyone gets a chance to play. Recent changes to the athletic policy initiated by the Captains’ Council, though, has brought the nature of the no-cut policy into question. Read as the Globe covers both sides of the conflict about having a no-cut policy at the school.

PRO

Laura Parvulescu defends the merits of a cut policy

Clayton High School is among the few high schools in the St. Louis area that has a no-cut policy for their sports teams. The policy does ensure a supportive and inclusive environment, but does it really teach students the lessons that being on a competitive team are supposed to provide?

Being on a sports team teaches young people many valuable lessons which non-cut policy interferes with.

Learning how to lose is one of the most important teachings of sports teams. Athletes learn that winning is not always possible, a lesson that is very applicable to real life. If students are simply given a spot on a sports team, they are not training their minds to take losses.

Additionally, students won’t feel the need to work as hard if they know their spot on the team is guaranteed. Another lesson sports teach is that hard work yields results and this lesson is hindered by the no-cut policy.

Max Boeger, a senior on the varsity boys soccer team, said, “Although I do agree with parts of the policy, having a cut-policy would make our school’s sports better because students would be more motivated to get better at the sport by not making the team. Instead, students make the team and are happy, but either don’t play or don’t play to their full potential due to lack of motivation.”

Cicely Krutzsch
The girls’ xc team runs together as a pack during their 5k race at the Affton Invitational in mid-August. From left to right: freshman Gabrielle McAuley, junior Ruby Gallegos, freshman Paige Rawitscher and juniors Sammy Williams and Mira Upshaw.

Recently at Ladue High School, a student was cut from the JV soccer team and his family sued the school for “age discrimination.”

This is a good example of how a student, instead of working harder to get better at the sport, fought to be put on the team although he, according to the coaches, did not deserve the spot.

Ladue does implement a cut-policy for their sports teams, and many of their teams are state ranked because of their competitiveness.

Although this incident shows the cut-policy going wrong, it provides us with a perspective on how not every athlete should be automatically put on the team.

Eliza Copelivitz, a CHS senior on the girls’ varsity soccer team, said, “I’ve heard stories and seen incidents firsthand in which players won’t show up to preseason training, practices, or games because of something else that is going on that the player would prefer to be doing. But because we have the no-cut policy, their spot on the team was easily earned and then taken advantage of, so he/she skips out on the commitment to the team for something like a social event. I think that the no-cut policy is definitely beneficial to those players who are dedicated to getting better and working their way up from JV to varsity, but the policy hurts athletics because those who do receive spots on varsity sometimes don’t appreciate them enough to keep their commitment.”

Sports are a large part of many CHS students’ lives. If it is being an athlete, managing a team or just going to watch, our sports teams do have an influence.

Implementing a cut-policy on Clayton athletics would increase meaningful participation. Students being more motivated and dedicated to the teams would increase the benefit of sports to student life in general.

About the Writer
Laura Parvulescu, Reporter

Laura joined the Globe two years ago to help refine her writing and editing skills. She likes writing stories that get other people's opinions. In her free time, Laura enjoys traveling,...