Filed under Uncategorized

Jeff Hochman, ’67

Entrepreneur

Back to Article
Back to Article

Jeff Hochman, ’67

Jeff Hochman, Class of 1967, has been a Clayton resident for almost 70 years.

Photo from CLAMO Yearbook

Photo from CLAMO Yearbook

Photo from CLAMO Yearbook

Jeff Hochman, 1967 CHS graduate, has been a Clayton resident for almost 70 years.

Hochman grew up on the streets of central Clayton as he attended Glenridge Elementary School, progressed to Wydown Middle School and eventually graduated from his beloved CHS in 1967. As a high school student, Hochman spent most of his time in the workshop and engaging in architecture classes.

“I realized that I really enjoyed working in the shop. I even entered a model car that received honorable mention through General Motors,” Hochman said.

As well as spending time in the shop, Hochman played football and was a member of the wrestling and track teams. During Hochman’s senior year, his football team held an amazing record, losing only two games during the season.

On the weekends, Hochman and his friends would hop on a bus and head downtown to watch a movie and have dinner or stay local and walk over to Brentwood Boulevard and get a soda at Fitz’s.

After graduating from CHS, Hochman attended Elmhurst College on a football scholarship, then transferred to St. Louis University after one year. A few years after college, Hochman moved to Webster Groves with his wife and taught at Webster Groves High School for one year. He then went to work with his step-father and took part in a used clothing business, in which they would buy used clothes from donation centers, sort them and send them overseas.

It was very important to me for my kids to go to Clayton.”

— Jeff Hochman, '67

Around this time, Hochman and his wife were beginning a family, so they moved into a home in Clayton. Hochman enjoyed his years in Clayton and he wanted to give his children the same education and experience he had.

“It was very important to me for my kids to go to Clayton,” Hochman said.

Only a few short years after graduating from CHS, Hochman found his way back to Clayton and has not left since.