Filed under Latest, Local News

Stenger Pleads Guilty

Back to Article
Back to Article

Stenger Pleads Guilty

A wide view of the St. Louis Skyline from Downtown.

(David Carson/St. Louis Post-Dispatch/TNS)

Steve Stenger, the former St. Louis County Executive, pleaded guilty earlier today, Friday, May 3, in United States District Court to federal corruption charges. In exchange for the guilty plea on the three counts set forth in the indictment, there will be no further prosecution of Stenger.

Stenger resigned as County Executive on Monday after he was indicted by a federal grand jury on Thursday on three counts of charges of bribery, mail fraud and “theft of honest services” in a pay- to-play scheme. The indictment was a result of an investigation that began in early 2018 by the U.S. Attorney’s office, the FBI, the U.S. Postal Service and the IRS.

Sam Page, who is now the St. Louis County Executive after Stengers’ resignation from the position, said that the guilty plea “is proof that the justice system works. Mr. Stenger betrayed the trust that St. Louis County residents placed in our government.

Stenger is scheduled to be sentenced on August 9. According to federal sentencing guidelines, Stenger could face up to 20 years in prison on each of the three counts. Stenger will also surrender his law license.

About the Writer
Cece Cohen, Reporter

Cece is a sophomore and this is her first year on Globe. Cece joined Globe because she loves writing and wanted to get more involved at Clayton. She looks forward to growing her...