Michael Melinger

La Shauna Aningo

The ability to interpret contemporary issues within the context of history is a powerful asset, and new CHS history teacher La Shauna Aningo seeks to help students confront present-day issues with a strong education rooted in history.

“I want to create an environment where students can examine different perspectives and topics in history while making connections to current events,” Aningo said. “I want to assist students in seeing continuity and change over time and grasping how connected we are to the past.”
Before arriving at CHS, Aningo taught at Normandy High School, St. Louis Community College at the Meramec campus and Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. While she has not always taught social studies, Aningo found that history is “embedded in everything we learn.”

With this mindset, Aningo plans to enrich Clayton students with a holistic perspective of history in her World & US History II and African American Studies courses. An important component in Aningo’s curricula will be critical thinking skills.

“I believe as a teacher it is imperative to foster analysis, problem-solving and decision making in the classroom,” Aningo said. “Students need opportunities to learn to manage the extensive amount of information they are forced to grapple with daily. Part of my goal as a teacher is to assist students in learning these skills through the lens of social studies.”

As a new teacher at CHS, Aningo looks forward to becoming a member of Clayton’s community. On the subject of her goals with her new students, Aningo said, “My focus this year is on building rapport with my students and creating a positive learning environment in my classroom.”

Aningo looks forward to instilling an excellent foundation in social studies and building robust relationships with her students.

“I want to assist students in academic success, and I look forward to many great conversations about history.”

$150
$2000