The quad’s convenience is missed

On most sunny days, the CHS quad’s tables are full with munching mouths, and Frisbee throwers and nappers occupy its large lawn.

The grassy patch provides a relaxing hangout place and an eating area for CHS students. It is also convenient for getting to various classes across campus. But with the new construction taking up a large chunk of the quad, CHS students and faculty members are starting to feel the effects of not having it.

In many classrooms, the noise and pounding of the construction has proven to be a nuisance. In room 122, Latin teacher

Pamela Skinner’s classroom, the sound of construction became so unbearable that her class had to relocate to the library for a few days.

With the weather outside warming and students with spring fever, not having a quad has proven to be a bit of a downer for some.

“I hate not seeing people enjoying themselves outside,” freshman Alex Gabliani said.

Not only has the noise become a problem for some classrooms, many students agree that the overall look and feel of the CHS campus has greatly decreased with the loss of the quad.

Even with a portion of grass and a limited amount of outdoor seating still available, freshman Caroline Greenberg doesn’t think she will eat outside while the construction continues.

“The quad used to be relatively quiet and fun,” Greenberg said. “But now it’s so loud that even if there were chairs I wouldn’t sit outside.”

Many upperclassmen and other students who drive their own cars to and from school have found the limited parking to be stressful. Just getting to the parking lot has become a source of stress for senior Logan Vice.

“I have never spent that much time hanging in the quad,” Vice said. “But getting to my car with the construction blocking entrances into the quad is hard.”

Although many feel inconvenienced by not having a quad, theater department director Kelly Ryan sees the possible positive side to the situation.

“The quad was a good release for students,” Ryan said. “But maybe with less room to play students will be more focused.”

Many CHS students have made the choice to study in the library rather than be outside with all of the noise.

Freshman Sarah Lerwick was trying to study for a math test on the benches in the quad, and she could hardly hear herself think.

“The construction was definitely a distraction,” Lerwick said. “I used to love studying in the sun, but now I just go to the library.”

Lerwick also said that this switch she’s had to make is sad, but she has no other choice. For her, the construction is too noisy for study sessions.

It seems that until the construction is over, CHS students will be sitting in air conditioning, missing the quad’s convenience.