Clayton strives for eco-friendly improvements

Cities all around the country are going “green”. And Clayton is right along side. Over the past few years Clayton has been taking steps to make new construction more environmentally friendly.

Clayton began it’s focus on the environmental movement 15 years ago when it started the residential recycling program.

Then, in 1997 Clayton citizens started the Ecology and Environmental Awareness Committee (EEAC) an organization that supports and advises ecologically sound programs in Clayton.

The committee is still very active today and puts most of their focus on recycling in the city. This includes having helped obtain the green residential recycling containers.

“The committee did not stop with household recycling, but was behind the effort by the city to purchase items made from recycled materials” Chairman of the EEAC Diane Meyer said. “We’ve worked hard to find a way to encourage the city’s restaurants to recycle and eliminate styrofoam, but we aren’t there yet.”

Clayton was the first of two Missouri cities to implement the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification program that was created by the U.S. Green Building Council.

“In 2006, the City of Clayton passed an ordinance requiring all new constructions and major renovation projects that are 5,000 square feet of floor area or larger to be owned, occupied or funded by the City of Clayton be certified at the LEED Silver level,” Planning Intern for the City of Clayton Planning and Development Services Department Elizabeth Simons said.

Clayton is one of the most environmentally active cities in the St. Louis area.

“All city buildings must use green cleaning products, use paper goods made from recycled materials,” Meyer said. “Any construction or remodeling must be sustainable from the materials used to the way old material is disposed.”

The initial cost of environmentally friendly construction is two to five percent higher than the initial cost of regular construction.

“The additional cost of green construction is mostly from the additional time it takes for architects and engineers to incorporate green systems,” Simons said. “Another added cost is the testing of green systems to make sure that they have been designed and installed in order to be capable of being operated and maintained in a sustainable way.”

Although “green” construction can initially be more expensive it can save money later on things like heating and cooling bills.

“The City is also seeing construction projects using ground source heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems which transfer warmer air during the winter and cooler air in the summer by taking advantage of the earth’s underground stable temperatures,” Simons said.

Eco-friendly construction is much more than just keeping up with the latest trends. It has great health, economic and environmental benefits as well.

“It reduces operating costs of the building, improves the health of the people occupying the building and reduces the negative impact on the environment,” Simons said.

Most people associate green house gas pollution with cars, but in reality much of that pollution is coming from buildings.

“Within the City of Clayton,” Simons said. “The amount of greenhouse gases coming from energy usage in buildings is more than seven times greater than the amount of greenhouse gases coming from automobile traffic.”

Everyone can make a difference in our community’s efforts in making the city a more eco-freindly environment.

“Recycle, recycle, recycle,” Director of Clayton Public Works Mike Pratt said. “And become involved in our City.”

Renovations for Clayton High School are in full swing, and the question of environmentally friendly buildings has been a focus in discussions.

“Energy and environmental professionals were consulted during the development of the plans for the new renovations of the Clayton schools,” Simons said. “These consultants work to ensure the green design, construction and operations of Clayton’s school buildings.”

Clayton High School partnered with Energy Star to create an environmentally friendly plan for the newly constructed high school.

Energy Star is a government-backed program that helps businesses protect the environment through energy efficient plans.

“Clayton School District is an Energy Star Partner and has committed to measure and track building energy performance, develop and implement an energy performance plan and educate staff and the public about the Energy Star partnership and achievements with Energy Star products,” Simons said.

According to a 1987 United Nations meeting, sustainable development is the ability to “meet current needs without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs.” ⎫