Lily Kleinhenz

After moving back to her hometown of Maplewood to start at CHS, she hopes to bring with her a commitment to connecting with her students through interactive and engaging classes.

Ava Hughes

Ava Hughes was on her way to completing a PhD in comparative anatomy when she had a realization.

“I taught two undergraduate labs, and I was spending way more time helping them out, helping them focus and learning new skills than I was actually researching,” said Hughes, who is joining the district as an AP Environmental Science teacher. “And I used that as a sign, that was probably not the best career path. And so I switched into teaching.”

Hughes’ initial research in her PhD program was about a specific pond turtle’s ability to hold its breath for months at a time.

“As you get higher up in your science levels, you essentially get more specific,” she explained. She realized that although the work she was doing was interesting, she didn’t want to do it all the time.

“So I like teaching because then I can learn about all the things all the time. It’s more broad.” Growing up in Maplewood, Hughes was always an enthusiastic student.

“I did well in school, I really like learning new things so I was always being a hot mess in my notes,” she laughed. After high school, she received her bachelor’s degree in biology from Missouri University of Science and Technology (Missouri S&T), along with minors in chemistry and studio art. When she realized a PhD wasn’t the path for her, she went on to complete a master’s degree in secondary education at The University of Missouri– St. Louis.

She began her teaching career at Northwest High School in Jefferson County, Missouri, teaching biology, chemistry and forensic science for four years. She also found time to pursue the things she’s always loved, such as painting and sports. She coaches field hockey for the AIM club team and works on her art outside of school.

“One of the main things that I really like to do is build really, really strong relationships with my students,” said Hughes. She added, “What’s really important in my teaching philosophy is making sure that everybody has found a way to understand the material. So I don’t move on until we’re all ready to go.” Hughes is excited to delve into the environmental science curriculum with her students. Along with plans to fill her classroom with plants and set up an elodea aquarium, she is looking forward to discussions about ecology and global solutions to environmental problems.

“I’ve always loved science,” she said, “because in my mind, it is just an explanation of what’s happening around us.”

$150
$2000