DECA Prepares for Districts

Members seek glory now more than ever this year.
Owen Wohl
DECA hosts a stand at the Activities Fair on Aug. 25, 2023. Seniors Beacan Mottl and Zack Srenco encourage students into joining DECA.

As the Feb. 8 District Career Development Conference countdown begins, the DECA chapter members are fueling their competitive spirit. With weekly strategy sessions tackling practice exams and roleplay scenarios, as well as crafting compelling presentations, the team’s commitment is steady. They’re preparing and strategizing to outshine the competition and secure their place at the state tournament

As part of District 8, the team competes against other local schools, including Parkway West and Parkway Central along with Ladue Horton Watkins High School. 

Juniors Saahil Doshi and Casey Chu are at the forefront of innovation, ready to showcase their groundbreaking product proposal—a rectal spacer gel designed to combat prostate cancer—through their startup, Halo Life Science. Their comprehensive 10-page report dives into the company’s strategy, simulated negotiations and compelling data that highlights the potential of their medical breakthrough.

“You can place them in medical journals, you can place ads and studies to send your results in for the presentation,” Doshi said. “You get a booth, you meet with hospitals and physicians and you make these contracts with them that they’ll use your product.” 

Throughout the first semester, Doshi and Chu immersed themselves in research, engaging with industry leaders to lay a solid foundation for their products. The months leading up to the Districts were filled with writing, rehearsing and studying to master their material. For Doshi, the memories of last year’s conference served as a reminder to continue his motivation, and ambition to exceed their previous achievements.

“[Last year’s] District [was] pretty fun. We felt really rushed and [Chu] and I couldn’t meet, so it felt great to get to State. We got second-[place] for our event,” Doshi said. “Doing the research and setting up the marketing campaign was fun too”

Doshi knows that hard work for the district competition pays off. Not only does it bring them closer to the state contest, but learning about the work behind business is rewarding. 

“I really liked making the written [piece], reading through it, working with the company, doing research and making the marketing campaign,” Doshi said. “It’s just really interesting to see how they do things and how different products are marketed.”

According to Doshi, he enjoys the feeling of success from DECA competitions. He’s a fan of the experience and encourages others to join in and compete.

“If you’re into business, it’s great to do,” Doshi said. “Last year, Casey [Chu] and I won a medal at Districts and a medal at State. This year we chose a medical company to set ourselves apart and do more work since we really want to make it to Internationals. We were close last year, and this year we’re actually able to go.”