Feinstein and Feinstein: The Law Firm

Uniting Skill, Trust, and Brotherhood in Hockey

“[Blake and Ethan Feinstein] bring the right effort, attitude and energy every time they come to the rink, and that’s super important during a long season with a lot of ups and downs,” hockey coach Cory Cannon said.
Senior Blake Feinstein and freshman Ethan Feinstein have been playing hockey together for over 10 years but find themselves on the same team for the first time. Feinstein and Feinstein were given the nickname the law firm by Cannon.
“It is something that started one night when we announced who was starting before the game. It just kind of came to me, and they seemed to enjoy it. But it also fits them; they both show up every game and, as we like to say, ‘go to work,’” Cannon said.
Blake is among the top three scoring leaders after finishing in second last year and Ethan scored a hat trick in his 11th high school game. The brothers lead the team in goals, assists and points.
“We don’t always need to talk to be on the same page on the ice,” Blake said. “That kind of innate understanding that’s difficult to put into words, we have it.”
The brothers participate in out-of-school activities, such as working out, vacationing, Best Buddies and the Jewish Student Union (JSU), contributing to developing their rapport.
“We’ve seen each other grow and mature as people over time,” Blake said. “We’ve always had a close relationship, but constantly practicing certain things as well as trying new things has reinforced this.”
Their hockey journey has been a shared one, as they also participate in skills lessons, skating lessons, hockey camps and many other activities. Although Ethan is only a freshman, he has been training with the high school team for two years, building chemistry and strong relationships with his future teammates.
“Our chemistry in other activities helps us on the ice,” Ethan said. “We are more likely to run a risky play with the trust that it will work out, while it may be more difficult to build that trust with others.”
Along with providing feedback and looking out for one another, there is competition when they are on the ice together.
“We’ve fostered a competitive yet supportive and fun culture between us when it comes to our athletic activities, which has motivated and pushed both of us to work harder and consistently improve on the ice,” Blake said. “We are both competitive, but we don’t treat each other as rivals; rather we support one another’s on and off-ice accomplishments and successes.”
The brothers’ audience has taken notice of their gracious attitude, including hockey manager, senior Addie Melander.
“They work very hard on and off the ice. They are very serious about the sport and want to do well not only for themselves but for their parents and coaches,” Melander said. “Whenever I am in Best Buddies with them, they always invite people to play with them.”
There have been many important contributors to the brothers’ success, most prominently their experience playing together for the past 10 years. The two also recognize the importance of having a positive attitude in hockey.
“The biggest contributor to our success on the ice is our ability to understand the tendencies of the other, whether it’s faceoff plays, getting open for passes or anything that requires good communication,” Blake said.
Throughout his high school career, Blake has consistently demonstrated leadership, guiding his teammates through challenging games and motivating them during practice sessions. Cannon points out specific instances where Blake’s strategic thinking and encouragement have led the team to victories. This same mentorship has been evident in how Blake has supported his brother, Ethan, offering advice on and off the ice.
“[Blake] has been a good example for me and the team and helps us learn from his successes and mistakes as a captain,” Ethan said. “He has had so much success; it only makes me want to do better in the next three years.”
Ethan also recognizes Blake’s lasting impact as a captain on the team as a whole.
“He isn’t only committed to his own success, but also to his teammates’,” Ethan said. “He constantly feeds us advice and can see the best in each player.”
Because of the three-year age gap, they have had few chances to play together. This season has been especially special and significant for Blake since it has always been a dream for him to play on the same team as Ethan.
“I couldn’t ask for a better experience than what this season has been so far,” Blake said. “Clayton hockey has taught me the importance of living in the present and making the most of every day. I’ve developed strong leadership skills as I’ve grown older and aimed to become someone younger guys could lean on and see as someone they want to learn from.”