Band Prepares for MSHSAA Contests on Band Day

Ashley Ngo
Band Director Alyssa Overmann leads an ensemble through rehearsal. The performers participated in Band Day ahead of the significant MSHSAA state contest.

Band members were dismissed early, Feb. 14, to participate in ‘Band Day.’

During the day, a clinician worked with the musicians to improve their accuracy, focusing on elements such as timing or intonation.

In anticipation of the fast-approaching MSHSAA band contest, students engaged in preparation for their music compositions.

Sophomore Jack Lenze, a committed French Horn player in the Symphonic Band, dedicatesd alternate days to honing his craft. He could often be found immersed in his music, whether in the secluded practice rooms adjoining the music hallway, reverberating with melodies, or in the heart of the main band room, where the sounds of his French Horn blended with the symphony of practicing musicians.

“[The difficulty] is something to do with the [French Horn’s] mouthpiece,” Lenze said. “The mouthpiece is really small compared to other instruments, so it’s really hard to get a starting note or the notes right.”

However, Lenze’s experience as a French Horn player means that his sheet music is not as complex.

“The instrument is a lot harder than other instruments and because of that, our music is easier,” Lenze said. “I feel like that’s a plus.”

The event was filled with a day of practicing and honing in on already existing talents.

“[The clinician] gave us verbal notes. It’s practice for a competition,” Lenze said. “[Band Day] was a group activity. He told us to be more vibrant while playing and [to] really follow the conductor. Also, he told us to make sure [we] made big tempo and dynamic changes.”

With the MSHSAA tournament fast approaching, Lenze grapples with feelings of unpreparedness.

“It’s a good experience,” Lenze said. “I would encourage people to really push for MSHSAA State.”