Shaw Park’s Tree Top Playground accommodates disabled children

Over the course of our country’s history, no concept has so transfixed our society and transformed its customs than that of equality. It was discussed in the Declaration of Independence. Its meaning sparked a Civil War. It led to the formation of suffrage leagues, bus boycotts and sit ins, pride parades and legislative reform.

However, equality’s latest triumph takes the form of a playground, just a short walk away from the high school.

Children play on the jungle gym at the recently opened Tree Top Playground in Shaw Park.  The $587,500 Tree Top is an inclusion playground, meaning that it accommodates children with disabilities. (Dustin Kessler)
Children play on the jungle gym at the recently opened Tree Top Playground in Shaw Park. The $587,500 Tree Top is an inclusion playground, meaning that it accommodates children with disabilities. (Dustin Kessler)

Tree Top Playground, located in the northwest part of Shaw Park adjacent to CHS, was designed with fun in mind. Complete with a swing set, slides and a tree house, Tree Top has all the amenities a curious kid could want.

But take a close observer will discover that several of the swings are larger and rounder than most, the slides are metal instead of plastic, and the peak of the tree house can be accessed by traversing a concrete ramp.

It’s these details that distinguish Tree Top from most other playgrounds. It’s these details that classify Tree Top as an inclusion playground, allowing able-bodied and disabled children to frolic in unison, to share together a shiny new playground, a glorious sunny day and the joy that comes from unbridled play.

With the help of an organization called Unlimited Play, the city of Clayton is not just strongly supporting but actively creating equality for children with disabilities; they are doing so not with wordy legislation but with the simple and cherished American tradition that is the spirit of recreation.

Tree Top’s roots can be traced back to Natalie and Todd Blakemore. The Blakemores are the proud parents of three wonderful children. The eldest, Zachary, suffers from Pelizaues Merzbacher, a genetic central nervous system disease that has confined him to a wheelchair.

Upon meeting them it becomes obvious that Natalie and Todd are deeply invested in the well-being of their children. To the Blakemores, play is an essential way to stay healthy and happy. However, the traditional playground presented numerous obstacles for Zachary, who had difficulty utilizing the equipment and consequently found it challenging to interact with the other children.

For the Blakemores, it was becoming increasingly apparent that the All-American recreation staple was anything but all-inclusive. So after a rewarding family experience at a progressive playground on the East Coast, they decided to renovate St. Louis’ idea of what a playground could be – not just for their son Zachary but for the benefit of all children who need equal play.

So in 2007, the Blakemore’s opened their first inclusion playground in Lake Saint Louis, Missouri. A crowning achievement, the entire St. Louis region could take pride in the playground’s existence and the statement it was making about our area’s commitment to disabled individuals. But the city of Clayton didn’t just want to admire the feat, it wanted to expand upon it. That’s when Clayton’s Director of Parks and Recreation, Patty DeForrest, sprung into action.

“In 2005, I began having conversations with Natalie about the project they were doing in Lake St. Louis,” DeForrest said. “We talked about the possibilities for Clayton and the need for this type of playground and, while I would have thought we might get it done sooner, it took the next four years to go through design, get the funding in place and then get it on the city’s capital plan.”

Part of what makes any service project admirable is the amount of effort required to make the plan a success. What makes Tree Top inspirational is the combined determination of the City of Clayton and the Blakemores to make the playground a reality.

Everything started with the search for an ideal location.

“The first step we took was to identify a location that included sufficient space and parking,” Deforrest said. “To build a playground like this one, we needed about an acre of relatively flat space that could accommodate the ramping necessary to make the play structures accessible. It was clear that this location in Shaw Park was a perfect fit. Not only was it close to parking, but there were also ramps into the park along with accessible restrooms on site.”

Upon choosing a location, the city needed funding, and lots of it. Fortunately, generosity and a city tax pulled through.

“The total cost was $587,500,” DeForrest said. “Funding was provided through a St. Louis County Municipal Park Grant of $297,500, a Department of Natural Resource Land and Water Conservation Grant of $75,000, private donations from the Clayton Century Foundation totaling $5,000 and a donation from the Rotary Club of Clayton-Ladue of $2,500. The City of Clayton funded the remainder from the Recreation and Stormwater Tax which is a half-cent sales tax earmarked for recreation and stormwater projects in the City of Clayton.”

Once the essentials were taken care of, it was time to focus on the details. In addition to the specialized swings and slides, a splash pad would be added to aid those children with difficulty controlling their body temperature. A sensory garden would be installed to help those with visual disabilities. Musical instruments would be available to aid auditory development.

And the tree house would be designed based on bark samples from Shaw Park trees.

A meticulous design procedure and a carefully supervised construction process culminated with the grand opening on Oct. 17, 2010. It was a glorious, festive day.

Some may view the playground as a refuge for those frustrated by the limitations traditional playgrounds have placed on the ability of disabled children to utilize them. Some may view the playground as a strong supporting statement of the rights of disabled individuals by the city. But ultimately the playground will be defined and remembered by those who enjoy its abundant possibilities for play. DeForrest is confident that the playground’s legacy will be a wonderful one.

“I know this playground will be enjoyed by children for years to come and will add to the health and wellness of the community,” she said.

View Comments (1)
$150
$2000