Turkey Leg contest suits cheerful holiday mood

DECA member Erin Bax and DECA sponsor Marci Boland man the booth for the Turkey Leg contest in the Commons, which raised money to provide Thanksgiving dinner for the homeless. (Laura Bleeke)

In many instances, longevity breeds excellence, which is why it’s no coincidence that CHS has been in operation for over 100 years now is home to some of the finest teachers in the state of Missouri. Each time we are recognized for academic excellence, it’s a tribute to the teachers, our hardworking educators, who certainly deserve our praise. But how should we praise them?

Recently, the geniuses at DECA have put their heads together and conspired to contrive a whole new way to show teacher appreciation, while generating school spirit and giving back to the St. Louis region.

The latest result of their brainstorming is this year’s Inaugural Turkey Leg Contest, which in practice wholly embodies the unique and comical nature of its name.

Similar in intent to DECA’s annual penny war, which has long served as a model of generosity for the CHS community, the Turkey Leg contest aims for the same spirit of charity while adding an element of humor. With final exams looming and stress intensifying, the emergence of this quirky turkey humor will be more than welcomed by students and staff alike.

The contest is simple. Photographs of teachers legs’ will be on display in the Commons from Nov. 17 to Nov. 22. CHS students and employees will be able to vote on which one of the photographs represents the perfect pair of turkey legs by placing money in a jar underneath the picture of their choice.

While a donation of any amount will be accepted and appreciated while the polls are open, for an additional 50 cents, voters can guess who all of the teachers are.

Of paramount importance, all of the money raised will be donated to a local food pantry to support its efforts at serving a Thanksgiving dinner to the needy, but there are also residual benefits for both the candidates and the voters.

The teacher whose legs raise the most money will be bequeathed a Butterball turkey and will be crowned with a special hat complete with flappable turkey wings, which he or she will have the honor of wearing on Nov. 23, thereby publicly and prominently flaunting his or her victory.

The voters who successfully guess the identities of the teachers will be placed in a raffle. Four names will be selected and the lucky few will receive free admission to every CHS basketball game this season.

Like all incredible innovations, the process to bring this contest to life took time and dedication, beginning with the inspiration for the fundraiser, the brainchild of junior Ali Planells, senior Erin Bax, and CHS’ DECA director Marci Boland.

How then did the DECA members manage to get these teachers to bravely strut their stuff in front of the camera?

“To recruit the teachers we asked our friends which teachers they thought would want to get involved,” Planells said. “Then for a week we went around asking these teachers if they wanted to participate. Some of them were reluctant to agree at the beginning but once we explained to them that it was for a really good cause and that it was all gong on here at school they said ‘Sure.’ The teachers were really good sports, and they all thought it was extremely funny.”

The photos were taken during a teacher work day in October and now DECA has to energize CHS to vote, once, twice, as often as desired.

“We never know how much students are going to embrace a project or not embrace it,” Boland said. “Hopefully this will be a great project and will raise a lot of money.”

From every angle the contest is appealing. Thanksgiving is a neutral holiday, in the sense that it is celebrated by all Americans of varying religious backgrounds; the contest, therefore, provides a unique opportunity for all students to give back to their community and simultaneously interact with their teachers. And as Boland alludes too, it’s all for a worthy cause.

“Ultimately, this project is all about helping homeless people have a Thanksgiving dinner,” Boland said. “We’re not even taking money out of the earnings to buy the winning teacher’s Butterball turkey. That’s coming out of our DECA funds. Every penny collected will be spent on food.”

While DECA is very much hoping for a good voter turn out from the time the polls open on Nov. 17 to when they close on Nov. 22, its primary goal during this time of giving thanks is to make giving back more enjoyable and more meaningful for all.

“More than anything else I hope that people laugh,” Boland said. “I hope they laugh when they look at all the teachers’ legs and try to guess who is who. Just laughing and thinking that it is funny will hopefully be something that everyone gets out of the experience.”

But on a serious note, thanks to the creativity of DECA in implementing this contest, the honorable service of the teachers in exposing their legs for a worthy cause, and hopefully the generosity of all who vote, Thanksgiving will be a day free of hunger and full of joy for those in need.