New Politics Club a place for debate and donuts

About 15 students were sitting in a circle in room 23, talking among themselves and enjoying donuts at 7:35 a.m. on Sept.23.  After waiting a few more minutes for more people to trickle in, sophomore Jonathan Shumway stood up, and walked to the dull green chalkboard. Shumway stood by the words “Health care” written in yellow chalk, and began to speak, starting a meeting of Politics Club.
Shumway and fellow sophomore Zachary Praiss had always been interested in politics, and, having contrasting opinions, often found themselves debating various issues regarding current events. These discussions led to thoughts of creating a politics club.
“Zach and I both were interested in starting a non-partisan politics club, where everyone is welcome, no matter their political background,” Shumway said. “We thought it would be a fun experience.”
However, such a club only became a reality after Shumway and Praiss teamed up, created posters, and convinced history teacher Kurtis Werner to sponsor their club.
The first meeting of Politics Club solidified the ideas of Shumway and Praiss into reality. With the help of the participants, Praiss and Shumway established the goals of the club as well as the normal routine.
“The goal of the Politics Club is bring political awareness to students, through games, discussions, and visitor speakers,” Shumway said. “By having a politics club that is non-partisan towards either the right or left, we are able to learn about both sides of an issue, therefore helping us learn more about the world.”
Shumway is looking forward to a bright future for the club.
“The future of Politics Club is more games, discussions, and speakers,” Shumway said. “We are hoping to make our club even bigger, from the 10-15 students that come now.”
Both Praiss and Shumway encourage all who are interested to come to the club, which meets every week, alternating between Wednesday and Friday mornings.
“We would like to extend a welcome to anyone to come,” Shumway said. “In Politics Club, we are able to learn, have fun, and of course, eat donuts.”