Keeping it Peppy

The love-hate relationship between the band students and playing pep band for games has raised the idea of changing pep band traditions to improve the overall game experience.

For the past two years, the band students were given a survey and the one issue that came up was the issue of pep band.

“Some students really loved playing pep band for games, some students absolutely hated playing pep band for games,” band director Charles Blackmore said. “It was kind of both extremes.”

In response to this, the band directors got together and met with the athletic department.

From there, a group of band members known as the Youth Leadership group met during band to brainstorm ideas for making pep band a better experience.

“We try to involve them in decisions,” Blackmore said.  “They’re not only helping us make decisions, but also to help convey to the rest of the organization, the rest of the band, why those decisions were made.”

Flutist Taylor Kloha was part of this group that worked to change pep band.  

“We are working to promote school spirit and cooperation among the groups involved in making each football game a success,” Kloha said.

According to different members of the group, there are different reasons to why these changes were made.

“From the survey last year we had mixed responses on pep band,” flutist Maggie Charity said. “We are trying to improve it to make it more enjoyable.”

Trombonist Jason Riss has another reason.

“We are known for our academics, but not our sports, especially student attitude towards them,” Riss said. “We are changing the way students are involved with the sports team.”

In order to make pep band enjoyable and to increase school spirit, the group has had the football team, the cheerleaders, and the pep band work together.

“The changes that we plan to install are a band and cheerleader tunnel for the football players to run through,” flutist Abbie Kohmetscher said. “The football team will now be singing the school song at the end of the football games.”

Another change is staying through full games.

“Every Friday night game, the band stays the whole game to entertain and to provoke school spirit,” baritonist Peter Grayson said.  “We also want to spice things up for the audience, so we’re going to open each game differently.”

However, the members in the Youth Leadership group do know that this change can be a disadvantage.

“It takes more time out of our schedule to go participate at sporting events and other spirit activities,” Riss said.

Blackmore also realizes that it is a commitment for the students.

“We recognize that it’s time consuming and we want to be able to help address that as best we can,” Blackmore said. “We want to make sure that the students know that their time is being well spent.”

Even with this slight problem, the Youth Leadership group is hoping for the best.

“Some band members disapprove of the changes, but the majority is in favor,” Grayson said.  “It’s just fun.”