The Face of Clayton

The start of the school year was marked with remarkable changes: a beautiful additional wing to Clayton High School, the construction of a new Wydown, and heralds the entrance of a new superintendent. Sharmon Wilkinson is a 15-year veteran of the school district, and brings with her the confidence and determination to infuse the district with frank and honest discussion. The Globe’s Katherine Ren sat down with Mrs. Wilkinson to discuss her experience and aspirations for Clayton as superintendent.

Q: How did you end up in this position?

A: The board of education asked me in January if I would assume the responsibilities of interm superintendent after Dr. Mary Herman asked to be released from her contract. Then in spring the school board asked if I would assume the role for two years because they felt that my knowledge of the district would provide some continuity during the transition period.

Q: How is this position different from your old position as Assistant Superintendent of Human Resources and Student Services?

A: I have gotten the opportunity to see the district from a much more global perspective. I have gotten the chance to interact with our students, staff, constituents and stakeholders, and our community in general on a deeper level. I have also been able to attend a greater variety of events going on throughout the community.  The biggest difference I would say is learni

ng the difference now through a new lens.

Q: What a typical day for you?

A: I’m not sure if my schedules now will be the same as in the long term. But I’m currently meeting and talking with different people through the lens of this role. Last month was heavily spent on getting involved within the community. I tried to make myself visible at common events because I want parents and members of the community to know who I am and be able to connect to me. As we’re thinking about who Clayton is as a community, I really want them to be comfortable with me and I want to be able to listen and hear what’s important to them. This month, I will be focused on individual meetings with principles and board members to talk with them about their individual work and what they value. I am taking this as a job entry plan; how can I learn as much about the district through the role that I have now so that I can maximize the impact as we move forward.

Q: This year’s theme is “I am Clayton”. What do you think defines Clayton?

A: Clayton is special because of its students. They are curious, inquisitive learners that are constantly seeking challenge. They are passionate and want us to provide

them with the kind of education that when they leave here they will be equipped, knowledgeable and able to tackle whatever they want. Clayton is defined by a community that supports education. Parents move to this district because they want their children to have the best education possible. We have people and teachers in the district that genuinely care about each and every child; providing relationships that motivates and inspires. It’s the students, parents, teachers, and the broader school community that makes Clayton a uniquely special place to be.

Q: Are there any current challenges that the school is facing?

A: We are currently going through a visioning process where we are analyzing what we’ve valued in the past, where we are now, and where we want to be in the future.  And we are using that to set strategic goals for the district. We are also looking to be fiscally responsible. Last year we deficit spent and although we still have a healthy fund balance, we want to pay more attention to finding the most effective and efficient ways to use our resources.

Q: In your opinion, what does it take to run a successful school district?

A: I would say it takes a board that is committed. It takes strong leadership and open, frank, honest conversation. So what that means is that there will be issues that we tackle where we all have our own vision of what the outcome should be. But we must move from the individual perspective to a collective vision because it’s our collective responsibility that will get the work done.

Q: What are some of your hobbies?

A: I love the outdoors. I enjoy walking, reading, and spending time with my family. Some would say that my hobby is my work. I think as of now, I am dedicated and fully invested in this job.

Q: Tell us a little about your past. What were your goals as a young adult?

A: I started my career in education teaching students with disabilities. Then I moved into supervising in that area. After that I served as assistant superintendent of human resources. And now I’m currently serving as superintendent. At the heart of that my dream is working with children. How can I help meet kids needs in education? Working as a special education individual, we focused greatly on individualized education and how to make sure that we met the needs of each student that we served. And now to some extent I think that we should move beyond just individualized education and get into more personalized education. My dream was to be involved in the business of education. I wanted to provide the opportunities and resources for students so that when they graduate, they would have the intellectual curiosity of believing that there is always something more to learn. At this district we are constantly striving to cultivate that sense of curiosity so that knowledge is something you will always value. My dream was to help develop kids for the whole person—academically, athletically, and socially. And here in this district we are doing just that.