Senior Superlatives

Earlier this month the halls of CHS were buzzing with gossip. But this was a structured kind of gossip, as seniors were toting lists of descriptors and discussing the names of fellow seniors to fit the categories. The doling out of these “senior superlatives” is an annual tradition at CHS. Such superlatives as “Most Artistic” and “Best Personality” are seen on the extensive list on which seniors categorize other seniors.

Christine Stricker manages the Yearbook senior committee. Stricker discusses the balance between readership interests and professionalism that she and the committee must achieve.

“We want to make the yearbook fun and something people want to buy,” she said. “But we also have to keep things tasteful.”

For the most part, Stricker said, the superlative section is just for fun. The process is not a completely democratic one, she says, because she and the committee have the right to take out any superlatives that could be inappropriate.

To junior Marin Garavalia, this particular tradition comes with negative impacts.

“It would be nice if everyone got one,” Garavalia said. “But some people feel left out.”

There are 35 superlative options (a total of 70 spots for boys and girls) and nearly 200 students in the senior class.

Senior Fergus Inder agrees that some may feel left out.

“Unfortunately some people are forgotten,” Inder said. “And some people get five.”

Although the competition seems high, senior Jason Riss believes it is for a good reason.

“If you didn’t make your mark in high school, you just missed it,” he said.

Another controversial aspect of the superlatives arises out of the rankings within categories.

“Some people don’t know if others actually voted for them because they may have been second or third place,” Inder said.

The ambiguity of the voting is a concern for some students. For others, like senior Jon Simington, this tradition is mostly a positive one.

“It is a popularity contest,” Simington said. “But I don’t really care. It’s just fun.”

Although Inder agrees that, for the most part, the superlatives are in jest, he mentions that “Most Unique” could be offensive.

“The ‘Most Unique’ usually goes to the most artistic,” Stricker said. “But some senior classes use it to label someone who they find to be ‘out of the ordinary.’”

Others, such as “Biggest Flirt,” are more humorous, but could be taken in a bad light. “Biggest Partier” has upset parents in the past, but continues to make the list each year.

Some new superlatives were added to the list, such as “Best Laugh,” but the classic “Most Likely to Succeed” is consistently absent and Inder says for a good reason.

“A superlative saying someone is most likely to succeed could definitely be offensive,” he said.

Stricker would like to see “Best Eyes” taken off the list.

“I like superlatives that are based on the quality of the character of somebody rather than physical features,” she said.

Above all, Stricker does not want people to take the superlatives super seriously.

“We certainly don’t hope that this is how people live their lives,” she said.

The Senior Superlatives are published in the yearbook for all to see. Whether it is “Best Hair” or “Most Likely to be on Broadway,” students get to see what others think of them; a school-sponsored gossip hub.