Legendary coach and great friend passes away

Wally Lundt passed away on Dec. 26, 2011.  He was a coach and mentor, but most of all he was a great friend to all who were fortunate to know him.

He started teaching at CHS in 1957 and taught a variety of physical education classes such as climbing and orienteering.  During this time he was also the water-polo coach, boys’ swimming coach, and the girls’ swimming coach.  He taught and coached there until 1991 and then worked for several years at Lafayette High School as a swimming and water-polo coach.  He then came back to CHS and resumed being the CHS boys’ swimming and water-polo coach.   He also began working at the Shaw Park Aquatic Center in 1952 and worked there for several decades.

A loved coach and friend Wally Lundt passed this week.  He will be remembered by many.
A loved coach and friend Wally Lundt passed away this week. He will be remembered by many.

He was inducted into to the U.S. Water-Polo Hall of Fame in 2004.

I had the privilege of knowing him for the last four years as he was both my water-polo coach and swimming coach.  He was the man who first told me how to do a flip turn and the true way to do freestyle.

As evidence of his caring and personal way, he always had us call him by his first name, “Wally,” not “Coach Lundt.”

He really cared about all of us and even when he was sick this last fall, he still tried to make every practice he could.  He loved the pool and coaching.

I am thankful for his patience and his understanding way.  Even when I did a stroke incorrectly, or I was a little late to practice, he would talk to me calmly, and tell me what I needed to do differently.

It seemed at times that he got more excited than us when the team won a relay event, or when we scored a goal in water-polo.  When I was a freshman, He even promised me that he would dye his hair orange if I went to state during my high school career.  He never had to live up to this promise, but he always wanted us to do our best.  He was a man who really cared.

He always looked out for us.  Last year during a water-polo game someone swam over me and I came up coughing water, struggling to breathe.  He automatically substituted me out and had me sit out the game until my breathing had returned back to normal—much to my chagrin.

After my own grandfather passed away last spring, Wally was there for me.  He gave me his condolences and told me how everything was going to be okay.  Wally was understanding when I told him that I would be missing some water-polo games to go to my grandfather’s funeral.  Although Wally loved the pool, he knew what was most important.

I am grateful for his joyful attitude and his example of living a full and busy life.  His wide influence has taught me how one person can make a difference.  Even in these last couple years, former swimmers and water-polo players constantly came and talked with Wally during practices.  He was proud of all these people and would tell us stories about them. He loved all of us and we loved him.

I’m going to miss Wally.  He was a great man.  The image of him in his flip-flops writing the swimming workout on the whiteboard will always be a memory I will cherish.  Thanks Wally for always being there for us and not only teaching us how to swim, but how to become men.

For the Globe’s full coverage of Wally Lundt’s life, click here.

View Comments (13)
$150
$2000