Mr. Blackmore Retiring

On Dec. 9, Band Director Charles Blackmore stepped on the podium and announced to the CHS Symphonic Band that he was a graduating member of the class of 2012.
“I was absolutely shocked when Mr. Blackmore said he would be retiring,” flutist Taylor Kloha said. “I have to confess, I actually started tearing up. It had never even occurred to me that he would ever have to retire.”
“He is someone who is so has been so integral to the school that I can’t quite imagine CHS without him,” trombonist Addison Leong said.
Teaching at the Clayton District for 24 years, Blackmore is grateful to been a part of the Fine Arts program at CHS.
“I have been blessed to have been a part of a wonderful program here at Clayton,” he said. “The support for music from the Board of Education, Administration, and staff have been more than I could ever ask for.”
Other than becoming a music teacher, Blackmore has also had other professions to support his family.
“I was in sales/marketing for three and a half years, and then was Vice President of In-School Programs for Junior Achievement,” he said.
However, music has always been a strong influence on his life.
“I just sort of gravitated towards it as I grew,” he said. “When I went to college, my primary goal was to be a conductor. Over time I gradually migrated to education and that’s where I stayed.”
Knowing that this is his last year, many people have bittersweet feelings.
“I have just started playing with him as my conductor and had been excited to work with him for two more years,” flutist Abbie Kohmetscher said.
Blackmore also knows it will be hard for him to retire.
“When you stop and think that so many of the things I am doing now and have done for so many years are the ‘last time’ it makes you stop and think,” Blackmore said. “I am always a person who has liked change and challenges, and I look forward to the challenge of sort of reinventing my life, and that’s very exciting. I know I will really miss a lot of what I do now.”
At the same time, Blackmore knows it is time.
“This is something my wife and I have been contemplating for quite a while,” he said. “I have been eligible to retire for a year or two now, but we decided to hold off until she was able to, and that way we could go together. My wife and I want to retire while we are still ‘young enough’ to travel and do things with our families, friends, and most importantly, grandchildren. Our plans are, and have been for a while, to change our residence to the Lake of the Ozarks area.”
However, Blackmore hopes that his retirement does not distract students from the work necessary in band class.
“We have a lot to do, festivals, contests, concerts,” he said. “This whole thing isn’t about me, it’s about us, and we have work to do. There’s a lot of music to be played between now and graduation.”