KONY 2012

Joesph Kony (Wikipedia Commons/Public Domain)

“Did you hear about KONY 2012?” Cherry asked me the moment she came through the door of the house.

I examined her eyes as she blurted out the story.

Being the energetic eighth grader she is, she chatted on and watched for my reaction.

Unfortunately, being a sophomore trying to finish two papers in one night, I actually caught only a few words: children, Africa, Kony, and documentary.

Not comprehending about the impact of this video, I just nodded every once in a while and when she finished her elaborate explanation.

“Oh, that sounds interesting, Cherry.”

Then I came to school and realized my little sister was more in the know than me.

My teacher, Mr. Hoelscher, mentioned Channel 5 news interviewed him about a new documentary that had gone viral on Youtube.

Now you have my attention Cherry.

I rushed home and found KONY on Youtube .

I expected a great documentary, but I was not expecting what came next.

By the time, I finished watching, I felt the rush of excitement Cherry had.
The idea behind this video was compelling. Make the worst, and most unknown, war criminal in the world famous.

I wanted to know more. I found a vast number of people who agreed with the organization that created the KONY video, Invisisble Children. They want Kony hunted down.

But there were other opinions. Dissenters.

At first, I couldn’t understand why anyone would be against this project.

What is the harm in finding a man who has forced children to become soldiers and kill at a young age?

I called my older sister, a student at St. Louis University.

She listened to my disbelief that people could be against this mission.
“I don’t know about this idea either… I mean, ethically it sounds appealing and wonderful, but should we really be getting into these minute details around the world?” she said.

“If we continue doing this, the U.S is going to be expected to step into these problems, but I don’t know if we can carry all of the world’s problems on our shoulders.”
Her words mulled in my mind. I began to see why some might be worried about this mission to hunt down Kony.

I still believe that Kony is worth the effort and the mission should continue, but I am glad to understand the other side’s view.

It was an important lesson. I could only see the “other side” as people who did not care. But both sides most likely agree that something should be done about Kony but where they differ is how to approach the problem.