Local Influence, National Recognition

A crowd of fresh-faced soon to be college freshman gather. They discuss which Ivy league school they will attend. Surrounded by peers with aspirations of becoming doctors, professors and rocket scientists — this group comprises the future of America. This is a meeting of U.S. Presidential Scholars.

Every year, one male and one female student from every state are selected for this prestigious award. Corrine Yap, a former CHS student, was chosen by President Obama’s committee for the honor.

Yap was one of two Clayton High School students to be named a semifinalist for the award. Princeton freshman Shuyang Li was also named a semifinalist, though he was not selected as a finalist for the award.

“It was a long process, because all the candidates had to apply, a lot like a college application,” Yap said.

For her teacher recommendation and most influential teacher, Yap selected AP Language and Composition teacher Amy Hamilton, who she had senior year.

Yap with Secretary of Education Arnie Duncan. Photo from Department of Education.

Hamilton feels that Yap was very “dynamic,” which helped her get the award. Yap was president of Speech and Debate, a member of the math club, was the musical director of the student-run musical, was a part of Tri-M, and belonged to the National Honors Society in addition to many other clubs during her time at CHS.

“What Corrine does never feels like a burden, it always feels very playful. I think that is pretty extraordinary,” Hamilton said.

Yap left a legacy on the Speech and Debate program, and helped many people transition into new positions. One of those people was senior Emily Longman, who moved to Clayton prior to her junior year and joined the Speech and Debate team.

“I was one of only a few juniors whose first year it was for Speech and Debate, and she helped us figure out where we were,” Longman said.

In mid-June, Yap and Hamilton traveled to Washington D.C. On the eve of their arrival, Yap received her award.

“We went to the National Building Museum for our medallion ceremony where the Secretary of Education presented us with our medallions,” Yap said.

President Obama could not be at the ceremony because he was in Mexico for the G-20 summit. However, he left the scholars a personalized video.

For Hamilton, Yap being awarded the medallion was the most memorable part of the trip.

“I felt really proud to be sitting in the audience and see her be recognized and walk across that stage, and to know that she is being given credit for all the wonderful things she has done,” Hamilton said.

There was also a teachers’ recognition dinner, where Yap and Hamilton dined among other esteemed students and teachers.

“That was really meaningful to me. I got to sit with Corrine, and to know that she allowed me to come with her . . . was flattering,” Hamilton said.

For Yap, the most memorable part of the trip was meeting the fellow Presidential Scholars, and, surprisingly, feeling as if she didn’t have to compete with the other scholars.

“You don’t compare yourself to each other, we all got the same scores on the ACT, we all got the same scores on the SAT. We are all up there,” Yap said. “Suddenly the pressure to be someone more than what you are was lifted.”

Though honored by the award, Yap does not feel becoming a Presidential Scholar is a goal students at CHS should have.

“Do what you want to do, do what you are passionate about, and it shouldn’t matter,” she said.

Hamilton agrees, and feels students should take as much joy as Yap does in their extra-curricular activities. She is also very excited for what the future holds for Yap.

“I think she is dynamite,” Hamilton said. “I still feel really lucky because I got the chance to have her as a student, and now hopefully continue a relationship with her as friends as she moves off to college.”

Corrine Yap graduated in 2012 from Clayton High School. She will attend Sarah Lawrence in the fall and plans to study math and theater.