California Calling

Adrian Gonzalez is one of the best first basemen in baseball, and is in the lineup for the Dodgers tonight. (Lloyd Fox/Baltimore Sun/MCT)

The Boston Red Sox and Los Angeles Dodgers are close to completing one of the biggest blockbuster trades ever in Major League Baseball history.

The Dodgers will acquire four time all star first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, three time all star pitcher Josh Becket, four time all star outfielder Carl Crawford, and utility infielder Nick Punto, who was on the Cardinals 2011 World Championship team. The Red Sox will get first baseman James Loney, and prospects Ivan DeJesus, Ruby De La Rosa, Jerry Sands and Allen Webster.

By making the trade, the Red Sox have become much more flexible with their finance. After missing the playoffs in 2011, Boston has had a disastrous season in 2012, standing in fourth place in the AL East division. The move makes it seem that the Red Sox are beginning to rebuild their team.

The Dodgers are three games behind the San Francisco Dodgers for first place in the NL West division.

The Dodgers line up already features Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier, and Hanley Ramirez. Adrian Gonzalez has already been put in the lineup tonight.

Trade recap:

Red Sox get:

Ivan DeJesus

Jerry Sands

Rubby De La Rosa

Allen Webster

Two players to be named

Dodgers get:

Adrian Gonzalez

Josh Beckett

Carl Crawford

Nick Punto