Special Olympics run attracts volunteers

In a couple of weeks, Clayton will be transformed for one special day. Routes will be marked, medals will be awarded, and dreams will be fulfilled. Runners of all shapes and sizes will come out to participate in an event inspired by some very deserving people. Everyone will be racing for the Special Olympics.

On Nov. 1, the Ninth Annual Clayton Police/Special Olympic 5k run will take place in St. Louis. Sponsored by both the St. Louis Track Club and Clayton Police, the 5k run supports Special Olympics Missouri, a program that empowers children with disabilities through sports.

The event itself attracted around 1500 runners last year, and even more are anticipated for this year’s event. It encourages competitive runners, as well as the more casual, to attend. The participants are usually quite a diverse range of runners.

“I love to see the massive participation of runners, it is truly a sight to see,” CHS SRO John Zlatic said.

Volunteer opportunities are available for CHS students. Students who volunteer would hand out water, assist with runner registration, or help prepare the run site with set up. Volunteering is highly encouraged, and very rewarding.

“I, along with the participants, get an enormous sense of satisfaction in helping children in Missouri with special needs,” Zlatic said.

Students wanting to participate can talk to either Zlatic or Mike Nelke in the Activities Office. In addition, a sign-up sheet has been posted on Zlatic’s door.
If students are unable to volunteer at the race, participation in other volunteer programs is recommended.

“I would like to have help with this run but I would want the volunteer to do their service with something they feel strongly about,” Zlatic said. “Volunteering is a great way to meet people who care about the same things you do, to connect with your community, to help others, and it looks good on those college applications.”