Cheating in Schools: ‘Cheaters Never Prosper’

As you sit down to take your next exam, you may be tempted to cheat. We have all been there, feeling the need to cheat for that perfect grade. Some students may have cheated thinking it was no big deal. However, in the past couple of years, cheating has become a more prevalent issue in our society.

According to researchers, an increase in cheating has occurred mostly at the High School and College level. The rates of students cheating at these levels has risen 55 percent over the past 80 years. 75 to 98 percent of college students admit to cheating on exams each year, a number that has made many people worried.

Both teachers and parents have made their opinions known on cheating in school. Jim Galati, a Clayton resident, believes that “Cheating on tests is a result of the frustration administration feels when there is no cooperation from the kids parents.”

Galati, as well as many other parents believe cheating stems from the kids family rather then the teachers teaching methods. He believes that this also attributes to the rise of cheating in elementary schools. According to a local news report, an increasing number of elementary school students are resorting to cheating. Showcased by a report of widespread cheating in an East St. Louis elementary school, figures were released that showed as many as 80 percent of students in elementary school are actively cheating.

While this leads to many assumptions regarding how well parents are raising their children, Robert Schneider, an elder of Clayton, believes that the teachers are to blame. He blames the general school system for the student’s lack of academic responsibility stating that schools “do not give enough incentive” for children. He believes that the current system, where children pass grades regardless of academic performance prevents the child from having any incentive to do succeed.

Regardless of where you stand on the issue, it is universally accepted that the number of children cheating is on the rise. Some parents agree that the only way to halt this progression is to add incentive for the child to learn. Teachers say that parents need to “Turn off the T.V” and pay more attention to their kids. With this schism between parents and teachers, no progress will be made to counteract cheaters, and we will ultimately be worse off. Cheaters shouldn’t prosper, but until adults can come to an agreement, it appears they will.