Clayton’s Varsity Football Crowned District Champs

Clayton Greyhounds vs. Jennings Warriors 45-22

The Greyhounds postseason run started as a nightmare when Jennings running back, Darrell Green, scored a 90-yard rushing touchdown in the first quarter. However, Tyler Walker came to the rescue with two rushing touchdowns in the first quarter and the Hounds finished the half with a 19-14 lead. In the second half they never looked back, Cailer Keaton added on three more rushing touchdowns. Walker and Keaton finished the game with a combined 375 rushing yards and five touchdowns.

Player of the Game: Cailer Keaton, 15 rushes for 144 yards and 3 touchdowns

Clayton Greyhounds vs. Gateway Tech Jaguars 30-26

In the second game of the postseason, the Hounds faced the Gateway Tech Jaguars, and once again, this game did not begin as planned. The Jaguars jumped up to a 6-0 in the first quarter when quarterback Zach McBride threw a 57-yard touchdown pass to Deandre Taylor. However, just as before, Tyler Walker led the Hounds back with two rushing touchdowns and at halftime, the Hounds had the lead 14 – 6. The third quarter began with an 89-yard kickoff return for the Jaguars. Nevertheless, Clayton was resilient, with two minutes left Tyler Walker caught a screen pass, and took it 76 yards for a touchdown and gave the Hounds a 28-26 lead. The Hounds secured the win with a safety that eliminated any chance of the Jaguars making a comeback.

Player of the Game: Tyler Walker, 19 rushes for 131 yards and 3 touchdowns, 1 reception for 76 yards and a touchdown

Clayton Greyhounds vs. University City Lions 27-20

The first half of this game was relatively uneventful, Walker scored the only points of the first half on a 3-yard touchdown run and Clayton led the game 7-0 at halftime. The second half was a completely different story, filled with lead changes and incredible plays. The Lions took a 14 – 7 lead after Ronnell Perkins caught a 35-yard touchdown pass. Clayton regained the lead after two rushing touchdowns by Walker and a key 2-point conversion where Jake Brown throw a pass to Sean Anderson who made a great catch to give the Hounds a 21 – 14 lead. Walker secured the lead with an incredible interception for a touchdown on the last play of the game to give the Hounds the 27-20 win and the district championship!

Player of the Game: Tyler Walker, with 23 rushes for 182 yards and 3 touchdowns, 15 tackles, a fumble recovery, and an interception returned for a touchdown

Clayton Greyhounds vs Helias Crusaders 8-31

The Greyhounds had a chance to be off to a great start with an interception returned for a touchdown; however, the play was called back for a penalty. The Crusaders finished off the half with an interception and a fumble recovery and were up 17 – 0 at half time. The Greyhounds started the second half with a superb defensive stop and a blocked punt. However, the offense was not able to capitalize on the great field position. Soon after, the Hounds playmaker, Tyler Walker, got the Hounds on the board by tackling the Crusaders running back, Garrett Bushchjost, in the end zone for a safety. The Hounds then drove down the field and finished off the drive with a two-yard rushing touchdown by Tyler Walker. After three periods the Hounds were down 17 – 8, unfortunately they were not able to get anything going in the fourth quarter and the Crusaders won the game 31 – 8.