CHS Compliments

Last year, Clayton High School became the scene of what seemed like a “Lifetime” movie. A student anonymously manufactured a twitter handle that splattered taunts attached to students’ names across social media called “CHS Gossip.”

As students scanned over iPhones and refreshed web pages scouring for their names, I couldn’t help but feel disappointed in my generation, who couldn’t seem to resist the urge to succumb to utter cliché.

However, when checking Facebook a few nights ago I noticed that Clayton High School students, anonymous of course, had begun a redeeming mission.

Their statement, “This facebook has been created anonymously by a few high schoolers, who felt that CHS needs a little more love. Inbox us on facebook, or send us an anonymous message via our tumblr ask page (http://chscompliments.tumblr.com/ask) – comments about anyone or anything you admire about our school, and we’ll publish them without revealing your name – a silent act of kindness.”

The silent act was met with a booming response. “CHS Compliments,” a Facebook account dedicated to anonymously posting other students’ compliments to one another, now has 257 friends after a week of activity online. The compliments range from honest appreciation to “Dobby, thank you for being the best house elf ever.”

But with some students still allowing the scars of “CHS Gossip” to heal, there have been arousals of caution and concern. After all, with anonymous comments on any form of social media comes the certain danger of back-handed, adolescent humor. Some have even posted on the “CHS Compliments” home page, scolding people to use the site to carry out its intended purpose: delivering silent acts of kindness.

Although I haven’t personally used the account, I still find myself drawn to what people have to say to their peers, the ones who they may be best friends with, or the ones who they may just pass in the hallway every day.

The complimentary notes might not have my name attached, but it makes me feel a little bit better knowing my school isn’t a cesspool of harsh whispers and seemingly assigned lunch tables.

So, my first publicized compliment won’t go on the “CHS Compliments” Facebook page; instead, I’ve decided to publish it here. Dear CHS Compliments, thank you for saving me from the bad “Lifetime” movie Clayton High School had become.